Help Me Move My Pet

Pet Travel Question: Moving Cats from Canada to the UK

Thursday, August 1, 2013 by Pet Travel Questions

Name: Pamala
Number of Pets: 3
Pet Type: Cats
From: Canada
To: UK


What forms do I need and where can I get them and print them to take to the vet? And what does each cat need to have by law?

Thank you,



Hi Pamala,

Thanks for your questions. Here are the pet import requirements for the United Kingdom. As you'll see there, in addition to microchips and Rabies vaccines, you'll need several health certificates for each cat which your vet should be able to give you.

Additionally, you will need an EU...

Read More

Pet Travel Question: Does My Puppy Need a Titre Test?

Tuesday, July 9, 2013 by Pet Travel Questions

Name: Elaine
Number of Pets: 1
Pet Type: Dog
Pet Breed: Shih Tzu
From: Philippines
To: Italy


Does my puppy (six months old) need to undergo a titre test? What are the requirements we need to comply with to be able to bring our puppy with us? Please let me know.




Hi Elaine,

According to these pet import requirements for Italy, your dog will not need a Rabies titre test to travel to Italy. All of Italy's requirements can be found at that link, but basically they are as follows:

  • A...
Read More

Pet Travel Question: Shipping Pets to Germany

Monday, April 8, 2013 by Pet Travel Questions

Name: Beth
Number of Pets: Two
Pet Type: Cats
Pet Breed: Main Coons
From: US
To: Germany

We are moving in a few months to Germany. Do we need both the EU Vet and International Health Certificates? Do both have to be validated and stamped by the USDA?




Hi Beth,

Thanks for your question. These are the pet import requirements for Germany -- you'll see that you need the EU Vet Health Certificate (EU 998) and the International Health Certificate (APHIS 7001). There are several steps to complete,...

Read More

Pet Travel Question: Moving a Pet to Europe

Thursday, September 15, 2011 by Pet Travel Questions

Name: Julie
Number of Pets: 1
Pet Type: Dog
Pet Breed: Mix (25lb)
From: San Antonio
To: Zurich, Switzerland

I received your super handy planning eBook, but had a quick question. Is the EU 998 form the same thing as a pet passport? Also, for the USDA approval, any ideas on turn around time for that? We are planning to move in early November and are trying to stay ahead of the game! Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Side note: Read about your company a few years ago and thought, what a...Read More

Pet Travel Question: Italy Requirements

Thursday, September 8, 2011 by Pet Travel Questions

Name: Debbie
Number of Pets: One
Pet Type: Dog
Pet Breed: Goldendoodle
From: West Virginia
To: Italy

I have a client that wants to get a puppy from me and wants me to send it to Italy. I have been trying to find out what is required.

1) I have found that the dog must have a Rabies shot (so I will need to keep the pup until 12 weeks for that).
2) Then I found out the dog cannot fly until 30 days after the rabies shot (so we're now at 16 weeks).
3) I have found out that the dog must have a 15...Read More

USDA Endorsements for Pet Travel to Italy

Monday, January 17, 2011 by Pet Travel Questions

Name: Michelle
Number of Pets: 1
Pet Type: Dog
Pet Breed: Japanese Chin
From: USA
To: Italy

My vet filled out the EU 998 form and I sent it and my dog's rabies certificate to the USDA to be endorsed. They stamped the 998 form. Is that all I need to do? Does the rabies certificate need to be stamped?

Hi Michelle,

It sounds like you have a great start! The EU 998, the microchip implantation record, the vet letter and the rabies certificate will all need to be USDA-endorsed. Double check the Pet... Read More

Pet Travel Question: What is the EU 998?

Monday, January 3, 2011 by Pet Travel Questions

Name: Todd
Number of Pets: 1
Pet Type: Dog
Pet Breed: Lab
From: Chicago
To: Frankfurt

My vet tells me that all I need to get my dog into Germany is the International Health Certificate, European Microchip, and proof of vaccinations. However I'm reading on the internet that I also need the EU Form 998, which my vet says they know nothing about. Do I really need this 998 form??? Please help! - Todd

Hi Todd,

Thanks for contacting us with your question. Here are the Pet Import Requirements for... Read More

Pet Travel Question: How to Complete the EU 998 and 7001 for Spain

Tuesday, November 16, 2010 by Pet Travel Questions

Name: Stephen
Number of Pets: 1
Pet Type: Dog
Pet Breed: Shepherd/Terrier Mix
From: Chicago
To: Spain

I'm going on an extended vacation to Spain and bringing the pooch. I understand these points: getting the correct chip, getting vaccinations (4 weeks minimum before travel) for the APHIS 7001 and EU 998 forms, USDA Approved Vet signature, and having these forms endorsed by the USDA Office. My questions are... if the EU 998 can be completed 4 months prior to travel and the APHIS 7001 has to be a...Read More

Pet travel question: European vacation

Sunday, October 3, 2010 by Pet Travel Questions

Name: Michele L.
Number of Pets: 1
Pet Type: dog
Pet Breed: Smooth Fox Terrier

I am not moving but I am planning a trip in 2011 with my dog. I plan to travel from US to Paris and then a week later on to Finland then back to the US. My question is about transiting through Germany with flight changes in Frankfurt. What additional health compliance documentation am I required to have for the dog in transit? Also, how do I get a copy of EU form 998? Thank you, - Michele

Hi Michele,

For a trip like...Read More

Pet travel question: USDA endorsements and importing dogs to the UK

Wednesday, September 29, 2010 by Pet Travel Questions

Name: Aimee W.
Number of Pets: 2
Pet Type: dogs
Pet Breed: dachshund, rat terrier mix
From: California, United States
To: Scotland, United Kingdom

Hi! I'm moving my two dogs to the United Kingdom. Our flight is on October 10th. I already have USDA endorsed EU 998 forms for the two of them. I have an appointment 6 days before the flight with a vet to acquire 7001 forms for them as well. My question is: do the 7001 forms needs to be endorsed by the USDA as well? Or are the endorsed EU 998 forms...Read More

Shipping a Dog to the UK Safely?

Friday, February 5, 2010 by Rachel Farris

Name: Risa

Subject: Rules and Regs. & How to ship my small dog to UK safely?

Question: Also...does my dog have to go in pet travel quarantine?


Answer: Hello Risa!

There are some pet transport requirements you will need to fulfill in order to be able to get your dog into the UK and make it through customs. Please note- the rules change depending on which country you will be coming from, so if you're not leaving from the US the requirements will be different from what is below:

If coming...

Read More

Moving a Pet Ferret to Sweden!

Friday, February 5, 2010 by Rachel Farris

Name: Samara

Subject: Pet moving with Ferret to Sweden from US

Question: I am moving to Sweden next Sept. I want to take my four year old ferret, Molly. How would I go about getting ready for this? What is the process of pet transport?

I am from America, so I am not in the EU, which would of course be much easier.

Answer: Hello Samara!

Here are the rules and requirements for importing your ferret into Sweden (they are the same for dogs, cats, and ferrets):

In order:

1) Microchip- Should comply...

Read More

Shipping a dog from the US to UK

Friday, February 5, 2010 by Rachel Farris

Pet Travel Question:

Name: Donna
Subject: Pet shipping a dog from USA to UK
Question: What are the rules on shipping a dog from the US to UK, and do the dogs have to go into pet travel quarantine?


Hello Donna!

If you follow these steps and complete these requirements, there should not be any quarantine time (there is a six month wait that can be completed at your home in the US and upon arrival into the UK your dog should be eligible for instant release), it's called the "Pet Scheme."


Read More

Pet Travel Scheme (or PETS)

Thursday, February 4, 2010 by Rachel Farris

The Pet Travel Scheme (or PETS) was created by the UK's DEFRA to allow pets to travel into London, England without having to undergo a lengthy quarantine.  PetRelocation.com walks you through the Pet Travel Scheme for pets coming from the US or any other rabies-controlled country.  The following rules apply to dogs, cats and ferrets.

1. Microchip:  Each Pet shall be identified by means of a microchip.  No other form of identification is acceptable. The microchip used should comply with ISO...

Read More

Transporting Pets to the UK!

Thursday, February 4, 2010 by Rachel Farris

When it comes to the transportation of pets, it seems that the UK is the leading destination country for international pet shipping. Over the next couple of weeks, we will focus on the import requirements of our top destinations in hopes of helping all of you with the basics and what is required of you when importing your live animals:

To start your research, we strongly suggest visiting the DEFRA website, so you can learn directly from DEFRA (Department of Environment Food and Rural Affairs) on...

Read More

Pet Friendly Travel from Houston to Frankfurt

Thursday, November 12, 2009 by Rachel Farris

If you're thinking of moving pets or traveling with your pets to Germany, pet friendly Continental Airlines just announced their new non-stop flights frmo Houston to Frankfurt.  As a result, we're now able to offer pet friendly bookings on both Lufthansa and Continental going direct to Frankfurt.  It's not too late for some Oktoberfest!

Don't forget to download the EU 998 Health Certificate for your pet's travel as well as check out the Germany Pet Import Requirements for assistance in planning...

Read More

Top Pet Travel Searches on PetRelocation.com This Week

Wednesday, July 22, 2009 by Rachel Farris

Here's a round up of some of our top site-wide pet friendly searches for the last week.  I thought this might save some people the trouble of having to search the pet travel site!

1.  moving pets to Guam

Good news - we just updated our pet import rules page for Guam.  Search no more!  We also just moved two pets to Guam, who you can see pictures of on our PetRelocation Facebook page.

2.  moving pets to Korea

South Korea is a popular destination, paticularly for many teachers who are taking jobs...

Read More

Download the EU 998 Form

Thursday, June 25, 2009 by Rachel Farris

Below is the European Union (EU) Veterinary Health 998 Form for the UK that you might find comes in handy for pet transport.



European Union (EU) Veterinary Health Form 998



Read More

Traveling to the EU with Your Pet? Don't Forget the Serial Number on EU Health Certificate (Form 998)

Tuesday, June 23, 2009 by Rachel Farris

Below is a letter to the IPATA organization reminding them of the importance of serial numbers on the EU veterinary certificate (form 998).  This is commonly overlooked by pet friendly veterinarians and USDA officials, so it is the responsibility of the pet owner (or their pet relocation company!) to ensure that it is filled in.  We thought it'd be useful for our pet travel readers to remind them about the importance of the serial number (emphasis ours):

Lately, we have had issues with the...

Read More

Traveling to Spain with Pets! Import Rules Too!

Tuesday, December 16, 2008 by Rachel Farris

If you really want to go for a holiday with your dog to a sunny and bright place full of beaches and urban delights, then Spain is for you! Spain is Europe's sunshine capital, where, as they say, the sun almost always shines. Dotted with beaches and lively metropolis, Spain is a country throbbing with life. If you want some fresh air, Spain is filled with opportunities to visit wildlife parks as well as great hiking.

The Spanish tango tomato is world renowned and people tomatoes are a specialty...Read More