Help Me Move My Pet

Conflict in Iran Leads to Questions About Pet Travel from Tehran to US

Tuesday, June 23, 2009 by Rachel Farris

This question comes from our "Ask the Pet Travel Specialist" partnership with PetTravelCenter.com:

Q. What are the regulations for bringing Myna birds from Iran [Tehran] to the United States? -- Azar M.

A. Hi Azar,

Shipping exotic species, like birds, reptiles and small mammals, requires additional research and paperwork. Pet Relocation ships exotic pets as part of our services, however, the below links should help you if you are interested in researching your pet bird's move.


CITES (or the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species) protects not only endangered species but also species that might become endangered due to international trade. If you are moving internationally with an exotic species, you will want to check the CITES Species Database to see if your pet is protected. All parrots are protected by CITES, and typically require both import and export CITES permits from their respective countries. These CITES permits can take up to 6 months to obtain from US Fish & Wildlife Services. Please check the US Fish & Wildlife Services - Animal Import & Export website.

Importing Pet Birds into the United States

Returning US Origin Pet Birds
Non-US Origin Pet Birds


Comments for Conflict in Iran Leads to Questions About Pet Travel from Tehran to US

blog comments powered by Disqus