One of the reasons it's fun to watch the Olympics is they allow us the chance to get to know other countries a little better. In Sochi it's been fascinating to see how hockey, curling and skiing (things we don't see much of here in Austin, TX) unite and excite people from around the world, and we couldn't help but apply our own experiences as pet shippers to the idea of international competition.
If there was such a thing as the Pet Travel Olympics, who would the winners be? Based on our observations of pet travel trends -- who goes where and why -- here's what we came up with.
1. Most obscure/challenging country to move a pet: Papua New Guinea (Runners Up: Gambia, Sierra Leone, Angola and Cancun)
2. Cat-friendliest country: United Arab Emirates
3. Top choice for adventure-seeking pets and owners: New Zealand (Runners up: China and Brazil)
4. Top choice country for retirees: Belize (Runners up: Ecuador, Costa Rica and Hawaii)
5. Most popular winter destination: Thailand (Runner up: Russia)
6. Most popular summer destination: Singapore
7. Most tech-oriented country: Hong Kong and Japan (tie)
8. Country with the highest percentage of sweater-wearing dogs: United Kingdom
9. Country with the most dog-friendly pubs/bars: The Netherlands (Runner up: Hong Kong)
10. Overall easiest/most welcoming to pets: United States
What do you think? Did we overlook any gold medal winners? Let us know!