Help Me Move My Pet


Attention: This information is to be used as general guidelines and may not be updated to meet the current requirements.  Before you travel, be sure to contact the appropriate authorities for your destination country.


1. Microchip:  Each Pet shall be identified by means of a microchip.  No other form of identification is acceptable. The microchip used should comply with ISO Standard 11784 or Annex A to ISO standard 11785. Austria currently accepts AVID 9 and AVID 10 in addition to ISO. The microchip must be implanted before the rabies vaccine is administered.

2. Rabies Vaccination and Certificate: All pets must have an original Rabies Certificate signed by the vet. The Rabies vaccine must be at least 21 days old at the time of the final health exam.

3. It is suggested that all animals have full vaccinations, as well:

Dogs:  Distemper, Hepatitis, Leptospirosis, Parainfluenza and Parvovirus (DHLPP) and Bordatella.

Cats: Feline Viral Rhinotracheitis, Calicivirus and Panleukopenia (FVRCP).

These should be valid at the time of import and administered no less than two weeks before export date for maximum effectiveness.

4. EU Health Certificate (Form Annex II): This will be provided by your PetRelocation Specialist. This is the standard Health Certificate to be filled out by your accredited Veterinarian and must be signed in a different color than that of the certificate's printing (usually blue ink).  This certificate is valid for 10 days from the date of issue by the official veterinarian until the date of the checks at the EU point of entry.  For the purpose of further movements within the EU, this certificate will be valid for a total of 4 months from the date of issue or until the date of expiration of the rabies vaccination, whichever date is earlier.

4. USDA Endorsement:  The below referenced forms:

•    Microchip Implantation Record
•    Rabies Certificate
•    Vet Letter
•    EU Vet Health Certificate

Must be sent to your local USDA for their stamp of approval.  Please contact your PetRelocation.com representative on the best way of handling this.

5.  International Health Certificate:  Your vet should have these in stock.  It’s a good idea to call ahead and ask.  This is an international health certificate that needs to be completed by your vet within 10 days of departure.  Depending on the logistics of your particular pet relocation and the specific health certificate being used (APHIS Form 7001) an additional USDA Endorsement maybe required on this health certificate.  Speak to your PetRelocation.com specialist regarding the USDA portion of this process.

6.  All original documentation listed above must travel with the pets.

7.  In order for us to successfully clear customs we will need the following documents supplied prior to the animal’s arrival:

•    Copy of Pet Owner’s Passport
•    Note from Pet Owner’s Employer for the Relocation


For animals originating in an EU Member State, the "pet passport", can be used and comes in a booklet form, blue in color with the EU emblem of yellow stars. This passport is a document standardized throughout the EU.

In the case of animals originating in a qualifying country other than an EU Member State the "passport" is in the form of a "Veterinary Certificate", must consist of a single sheet, be printed in the language of Member State of entry and in English and be completed in the language of the Member State of entry or English. North American vets write dates confusingly, sometimes in two different formats on the same document.  The correct layout requested, and the ISO Standard, is dd/mm/yyyy.

Microchip Numbers must be read from the chip in the animal – and not from other paperwork.  You must double check to make sure the chip can be scanned and that ALL NUMBERS of the microchip are recorded correctly.

Local Pet Resources

Want to be added to our listings? Contact us!

Austria is a beautiful country with a lot to offer both individuals and families - especially with their pets. If you do make the decision to move to Austria, you will be beginning a fabulous journey which can at times be both exhilarating and nerve wracking.  The quality of life is generally very high in Austria. With a thriving economy, a stable political system, Austria's beautiful countryside (not only the Austrian Alps bewitch with their majestic beauty) and it's cultural diversity, all contribute to a high-quality lifestyle for locals and tourists alike.

Austria's capital Vienna ranks as one of the most attractive cities world wide. The subjective feeling of well-being attested to by locals and tourists alike has been repeatedly attested to by leading international studies and city rankings.

The following links should help guide you in the right direction and make the transition a bit easier.

Relocation Services

Relocation services are able to do pretty much everything you need to get done, from packing and shipping furniture to helping find the right apartment and schools. The following are examples of some Austrian relocation firms:





Real Estate Agents

If you want to be a little more independent in moving to Austria then a Real estate agent or "Makler" in German, can be very helpful in getting your new home or apartment organized and many are aware of the local dog parks, dog boarding and other facilities in Austria that cater to pets.

Gasser Real:

Auhofstraße 114,1130 Vienna
Tel.: 00 43 1 961 03 13

Dr.Jelitzka und Partner Immobilien:

Lehargasse 9, 1060 Vienna
Tel.: 00 43 1 596 60 20 - 0


Reinprechtsdorfer Str. 22, 1050 Vienna
Tel.: 00 43 1 545 24 25-0


Tel.:00 43 7472 209 0

Engel & Völkers:

Opernring 9, 1010 Vienna
00 43 1 58 58 210


Schwedenplatz 2/51, 1010 Vienna
Tel.: 00 43 1 886 88 88

Kurier (Austrian Newspaper)

Der Standard (Austrian Newspaper)


Please note, that everyone who moves to Austria must register with the local authorities within three days of their arrival. You will need to fill out a Meldezettel form and get it stamped by your letting/real estate agent. This form will be used in various official situations as proof of address for opening a bank account, organizing a telephone contract etc.

When you move address within Austria or leave the country all together you must inform the local authority office.






The Republic of Austria (German: Republik Österreich), is a landlocked country in Central Europe with a population of about 8.3 million people.

Capital: Vienna

Currency: Euro (EUR)

Language: German


The greater part of Austria lies in the cool/temperate climate zone in which humid westerly winds predominate. With over half of the country dominated by the Alps, the alpine climate is the predominant one.


Austria is a largely mountainous country due to its location in the Alps. The Central Eastern Alps, Northern Limestone Alps and Southern Limestone Alps are all partly in Austria. Of the total area of Austria (84,000 km2 or 32,433 sq mi), only about a quarter can be considered low lying, and only 32% of the country is below 500 metres (1,640 ft). The Alps of western Austria give way somewhat into low lands and plains in the eastern part of the country.




Auslaender.at, www.auslaender.at, is an information portal for foreigners living in Austria.

Help.gv.at, www.help.gv.at, provides information, links and resources for foreign citizens, on all aspects of living in Austria.

AboutAustria.org, www.aboutaustria.org, is a travel guide for Austria, with a section on Living in Austria.