Do you want to ship a Yorkie (Yorkshire Terrier) or English Bulldog from South Africa? Have you been corresponding by email with someone in South Africa who wants to send you a puppy and are you only responsible for shipping costs? Chances are this is a scam - do not send them any money. Please click here for more details on Nigerian Puppy Scams, South African Puppy Scams and Bulldog scams. Want to buy a puppy overseas? Here are some tips on how to avoid being scammed.
Attention: This information is to be used as general guidelines and may not be updated to meet the current requirements. Before you travel, be sure to contact the appropriate authorities for your destination country.
SOUTH AFRICA PET TRAVEL RULES AND REQUIREMENTS
Before beginning the import procedures, make sure that your vet is approved by the Government Veterinarian Authority in the country of origin. For example, if an animal is departing the United States, the vet will need to be USDA Accredited.
When the Import Permit is issued there will be a Veterinary Health Certificate attached for export (2 pages for cats, 4 pages for dogs). This is the only Health Certificate that will be accepted by the South African Vet who inspects the papers upon arrival at the airport. If this certificate has not been completed correctly, endorsed by the competent authority, and/or the original has not arrived with the animal, the animal will be sent back to the country of origin.
Requirements for South Africa:
1. Each Pet shall be identified by means of a microchip. No other form of identification is acceptable. The microchip used should comply with ISO Standard 11784 or Annex A to ISO standard 11785. South Africa currently accepts AVID 9 and AVID 10 in addition to ISO. The microchip must be implanted before the rabies vaccine is administered.
2. Originate from an area that is not under official veterinary restrictions by the Vet Administration (i.e USDA, CFIA, etc…) or the exporting country for any disease to which carnivores are susceptible.
3. Did not come in contact with animals infected or suspected of being infected with rabies.
4. Has a valid rabies vaccination no more than one year old but older than 30 days.
5. Originate from a country free of the following diseases (Dogs only):
- Brucella Canis
- Trypanosoma evansi
- Babesia Gibsoni
- Dirofilaria immitis
(The US is free of, and does not test for Trypansoma evansi).
6. If the country of origin contains any of the diseases above, the animals need to be tested, with negative results, within 30 days of export for the following conditions at an officially approved laboratory, using testing procedures described in the OIE Manual of Standards for Diagnostic Tests and Vaccines, 2004 (Dogs only)
These test results will need to be noted on the Import Permit Veterinary Health Certificate with negative results.
7. Unless the country of origin is certified free of the diseases under number 5, the animals need to be treated for the following conditions as prescribed below:
- Trypanosoma Evansi: From the date of negative testing until export with Suramin or Diminazene aceturate, according to the instructions for use thereof by the manufacturer.
- Dirofilaria Immitis: From the date of negative testing until export at the required intervals with:
- Diethylcarbamizine (5-6 mg/kg per os daily) Or Ivermectin (6 micrograms/kg per os monthly) Or Milbemycin oxime (0,5 mg/kg per os monthly) Or Moxidectin (3 micrograms/kg per os monthly)
Treatment for Dirofilaria must continue for 6 months after arrival in South Africa and be noted on the Veterinary Health Certificate up to departure.
8. The pet needs to be examined by an official veterinarian within 10 days of export and need to be found to be free from internal and external parasites, contagious and infections diseases, and fit to travel. This test date and results are noted on the South African Veterinary health certificate required to enter the country. At this same time a US Health Certificate needs to be issued. This will be required to board the airplane. This document is generally APHIS Form 7001 and is valid for 10 days upon completion.
Important Notice Concerning Pets Traveling to South Africa from the EU:
Beginning on 1 April 2010, all dogs coming from EU countries must be tested for all five of the following parasites with negative results:
1. Brucella canis
2. Trypanosoma evansi
3. Babesia gibsoni
4. Dirofilaria immitis
Local Pet Resources
Want to be added to our listings? Contact us!
Paws-Resort Kennels & Cattery
Bedford Veterinary Hospital: 28 Concorde Rd West, Bedfordview, 2007 PO Box 423, Bedfordview, 2008, Johannesburg PH: 011 828-6333/7882
Gillitts Veterinary Hospital:14 Old Main Rd Gillitts, 3610 PH: (031) 765-1305
Groomers and Pet Supplies
Lady and Tramp: 201 Niesewand Street Constantia Park Pretoria East, Pretoria PH: 012 998 7755
Pets Paradise: 64 Main Rd Brentwood Park Johannesburg, PH: 011 973 1315
Top Cut Pet Groomers and Pet Supplies: Morningside Manor, Sandton PH: 011 802 6329
South Africa is located, as one might expect, on the southern tip of Africa. The geographical coordinates are 29 00 S, 24 00 E .It has only land area of 1,219,912 sq km ihncluding Prince Edward Islands (Marion Island and Prince Edward Island).
It is bordered by the Atlantic Ocean on the west, the Indian Ocean on the south and east. Along its northern border, from west to east, lie Namibia, Botswana, and Zimbabwe, and to the northeast are Mozambique and Swaziland. Wholly-enclosed by South Africa, and situated in its eastern central plain, is the independent kingdom of Lesotho.
Almost all of South Africa's 472,000 square miles (1.2 million sq. km.) lie below the Tropic of Capricorn, and the country is geographically composed of three primary regions: an expansive central plateau, a nearly continuous escarpment of mountain ranges that ring the plateau on the west, south, and east, and a narrow strip of low-lying land along the coast. Most of the central plateau (and most of the country) consists of high (4,000-6,000 ft/1,220-1,830 m), rolling grassland known as highveld. The highest points of the mountainous escarpment are found in the stunning Drakensberg (dragon's back) Mountains, where the tips of dragon's back can exceed heights of 10,000 ft (3,050 m).
In the northwest, South Africa's KalahariGemsbokNational Park, one of the continent's largest game reserves, extends into the red sands and scrub grasslands of the great Kalahari Desert. In the northeast, the highveld plateau descends to the Bushveld and LimpopoRiver basins. The Bushveld comprises South Africa's extensive savanna, in which is found the country's marvelously rich and diverse game reserve, the world-renowned KrugerNational Park.
Languages: Afrikaans, Ndebele, Northern Sotho, Southern Sotho, Swati, Tsonga, Tswana, Venda, Xhosa, Zulu, English.
Currency: South African Rand (ZAR)
The climate is mostly semiarid; subtropical along east coast; sunny days, cool nights .Although South Africa's climate varies considerably across its various regions and environments, temperatures remain comfortable throughout the year. The best time to visit for safari is between May to August, when there is less rain and much less dense vegetation, making animal sightings far more frequent.