United PetSafe Breed Restrictions
Before making pet travel plans, it's important to research your airline options and any restrictions that may exist in order to avoid getting into an inconvenient situation on your day of departure. Do you have the right travel crate? Do you have the correct paperwork from your vet? Wait, is your breed of pet even accepted by this airline?
These are all questions certainly worth looking into well in advance, and most can be answered by perusing the airline's website or giving them a call. Here at PetRelocation we do our best to stay on top of airline policy changes and announcements, too, so check with us if you have questions.
Effective June 18, 2018, United will not accept reservations for the following brachycephalic (or short- or snub-nosed) dogs and cats and strong-jawed dog breeds*, out of concern for higher adverse health risks:
- American Bulldog
- American Bully
- American Mastiff
- American Pit Bull Terrier/Pit Bull
- American Staffordshire Terrier/"Amstaff"
- Belgian Malinois
- Boerboel/South African Mastiff
- Boston Terrier
- Brussels Griffon
- Ca de Bou/Mallorquin Mastiff
- Cane Corso/Italian Mastiff
- Cavalier King Charles Spaniel
- Chow Chow
- Dogo Argentino/Argentinian Mastiff
- Dogue de Bordeaux/French Mastiff
- Dutch Pug
- English Bulldog
- English Mastiff
- English Toy Spaniel/Prince Charles Spaniel
- Exotic Shorthair
- Fila Brasileiro/Brazilian Mastiff/Cao de Fila
- French Bulldog
- Indian Mastiff/Alangu
- Japanese Chin/Japanese Spaniel
- Japanese Pug
- Kangal/Turkish Kangal
- Lhasa Apso
- Neapolitan Mastiff/Mastino Napoletano
- Old English Bulldogges
- Pakastani Mastiff/Bully Kutta
- Presa Canario/Perro de Presa Canario/Dogo Canario/Canary Mastiff
- Pyrenean Mastiff
- Shar-Pei/Chinese Shar-Pei
- Shorty Bulldogs
- Spanish Alano/Spanish Bulldog/Alano Espanol
- Spanish Mastiff / Mastin Espanol
- Staffordshire Bull Terrier/"Staffys"
- Tibetan Mastiff
- Tibetan Spaniel
- Tosa/Tosa Ken/Tosa Inu/Japanese Mastiff/Japanese Tosa
* Including mixed breeds
Note that United has expanded its services over the last few years to become more and more pet friendly; for example they have implemented more PetSafe routes and PetSafe Product enhancements. Their complete set of pet policies can be found here.
Contact PetRelocation with any questions about air travel with pets, and fly safely, everyone!