The APHIS Vet Health Certificate (Form 7001) for International Pet Transport

dogHow to Obtain and Complete the APHIS 7001 for Pet Shipping

If you're moving internationally with your pet from the United States, you're most likely going to need an International Health Certificate, also known as the USDA APHIS Form 7001.  We are often asked about this form and it's one of the most searched for documents for people planning to transport their pet to another country. 

Here is where you can download the APHIS Vet Health Certificate (Form 7001).

The 7001 is issued by USDA-accredited veterinarians and then often must be endorsed by the corresponding state's USDA Veterinary Services office. The state and regional Veterinary Services offices oversee all of the export documents for pets departing from the US and ensure that the veterinarians issuing the documents, including the 7001, are accredited and filling out accurate information.

Here are the steps for obtaining the Form 7001 health certificate and having it endorsed:

1.  Find a USDA-Accredited veterinarian in your area.

The USDA Veterinary Services offices do not need to see pets to issue health certificates—they only look at the paperwork after it has been completed. That means you'll need to ask your local vet if they are accredited. Most vets know offhand whether or not they have this accreditation, but if there is any uncertainty, the nearest USDA Veterinary Services office can double check accreditation statuses for you and your vet.

2.  Download the APHIS Vet Health Certificate (Form 7001).

3.  Go to your vet to get the health certificate issued.

This must be done within a certain time frame before your travel date—check the pet import requirements for the country to which you're moving as well as the requirements of the airline you are flying with to determine when you will need to have the health certificate issued. Also, we highly recommend having your vet sign the form in blue ink to easily show both the USDA and destination country’s government that it is an original document.

4.  Check your (vet's) work! 

We cannot stress this enough. As part of our service, we review all of our clients' paperwork carefully before it is sent to the USDA for endorsement. If you are arranging your pet move on your own, you will need to double (and triple!) check your veterinarian's work. If you don't, the USDA will return the documents to you unendorsed. You don't want this to happen because then your pet can't depart on time! 

Make sure all dates are written correctly (we recommend formatting to DD MON YYYY to be clear), microchip numbers match up to microchip paperwork, your pet's age on the 7001 matches what's on their vaccination records (you wouldn't believe how often this is incorrect!), etc. 

If you must make a correction to the paperwork, have your vet draw a single line through the error and initial somewhere next to the correction. When in doubt, or if your health certificate starts to become too messy or illegible, start over with a new health certificate.

5.  Send in your paperwork to the USDA (or take it by hand). 

Depending on where the nearest veterinary service office is, you can either go to the office in person to obtain the endorsement or you can send it in via FedEx. If you are going to take your documents in, you will want to call at least one week in advance to make sure they will allow you to come in and to make an appointment. If you are sending your paperwork in, you will need to account for a few days for the package to travel there and back (keep in mind the USDA is closed on the weekends) and include some sort of payment information. The USDA does not take checks.

You might consider including a cover sheet with your contact information instructing them to call for a credit card number. Also, keep in mind that if you do not include a return envelope, the USDA will send it back via US Postal Service. If you need your paperwork returned sooner (which most people do), include a pre-addressed FedEx overnight envelope with your paperwork. The USDA typically will stamp documents on the same day or the following day after they receive them.

If you have more questions about microchips or if you're ready to learn more about pricing, logistics, and other pet travel details, get started by completing our consultation form.

Get A Consultation


PetRelocation Team


Air Travel, Ask the Experts, Microchips


Cats, Dogs



Add a Comment

By on April 21, 2011 at 11:55 am

@Michelle - No you do not need to get the rabies certificate endorsed by the USDA.
@Bela - You can find Romania's pet import requirements here:
@Sheila - If your EU 998 form is done within 10 days of the flight you do not need to get the 7001 health certificate endorsed.
@Steven - You should call your local USDA office to ask for their fees as it depends on the pet and the number of certificates.
@Heidi - Please see our US Pet Import information here:
@Donna - The veterinarian in the US who issues the 7001 health certificate should be USDA-accredited. You then will need the state USDA office to stamp it.
@Manpreet - You will need to get all new documentation in the US for export to Peru since you will be importing your pet into the US first and then going on to Peru. You will probably need a week to do all of this documentation.
@Leslie - The rabies shot must be done after the microchip for entry into the EU. This applies to pets originating from any country.

By Min on June 1, 2011 at 2:30 am

My cousin also took a cat with her to Shanghai several months ago. She had her vet issued a vaccination certificate and an international health certificate, but she didn't need a stamp from the USDA...Strange...

By Francisco on May 11, 2011 at 8:42 pm

im travelling to EU from Mexico, final destination to Poland, does anyone know what kind of paperwork i need, and where i can get the right certificate to get my dog into that country?? help please!!

By Matt on May 12, 2011 at 2:48 pm

Greetings! I love all the good work you and do.

I have a quick question I was hoping you could help me with.

I'm a dog trainer currently living in Buenos Aires, where I moved to do rescue work. After years of doing it in the US, you realize there is a bigger need here.

I travel back and forth to the US every few months and always bring my dog with me. So I am accustomed to the process of getting my forms here in Argentina and then when I leave the US, I get my APHIS 7001 form completed and certified at the USDA office near LAX in LA.

However, this next trip of mine I'll be in LA on June 7th but won't be returning to Buenos Aires until June 19th. So 12 days. Normally, I leave for BA from LA and get the paperwork just a few days in advance because I've been under the impression of a 10 day window existing.

But my question is this:

If I got my forms done on June 7th and left the US 12 days later, would the APHIS form still be valid?

I ask because on the APHIS-7001 form, it clearly states on the bottom: "This certificate is valid for 30 days after issuance".

If this is the case, as the form suggests, then wouldn't I be alright getting the form 12 days before leaving the US?

Thanks for your time and assistance.

By Tom on May 3, 2011 at 6:43 pm

Hello, I have the EU Pet Passport. Do I need any other "passport" (998, 7001, etc) to travel from the US to Germany? If I only need the EU Pet Passport, do I need to get it endorsed by the USDA? What part of the EU rule 998 requires the USDA endorsement?

By Min on May 31, 2011 at 11:57 pm

Hello, I am travelling to Shanghai, China with my cat from the US. I just downloaded the APHIS-7001 form and should it be the vet who issues the health certificate to fill out the form? Or shall I do it myself then ask for the signature of the vet and send to USDA for the stamp?

By Vernita on April 28, 2011 at 9:30 pm

I have a copy of the APHIS form 7001, so I get the vet to check out my dog and sign it then i have to send it off to get the state to stamp it too?

By on April 29, 2011 at 5:12 pm

@Vernita - yes that is correct.

Add a Comment

Name is required

Email is required and must be in the format

Comment is required

Back to top