Help Me Move My Pet


Attention:  This information should be used as general guidelines and may not be updated to meet the current requirements.  Before you travel, be sure to contact the appropriate authorities for your destination country.


1. Microchip:  Each pet shall be identified by means of a microchip.  No other form of identification is acceptable. The microchip used should comply with ISO Standard 11784 or Annex A to ISO standard 11785. Germany currently accepts AVID 9 and AVID 10 in addition to ISO. The microchip must be implanted before the rabies vaccine is administered.

2. Rabies Vaccination and Certificate: All pets must have an original Rabies Certificate signed by the vet. The Rabies vaccine must be at least 21 days old at the time of the final health exam.

3. It is suggested that all animals have full vaccinations, as well:

Dogs:  Distemper, Hepatitis, Leptospirosis, Parainfluenza and Parvovirus (DHLPP) and Bordatella.

Cats: Feline Viral Rhinotracheitis, Calicivirus and Panleukopenia (FVRCP).

These should be valid at the time of import and administered no less than two weeks before export date for maximum effectiveness.

4. EU Health Certificate: This will be provided by your PetRelocation Specialist. This is the standard Health Certificate to be filled out by your accredited Veterinarian and must be signed in a different color than that of the certificate's printing (usually blue ink).  This certificate is valid for 10 days from the date of issue by the official veterinarian until the date of the checks at the EU point of entry.  For the purpose of further movements within the EU, this certificate will be valid for a total of 4 months from the date of issue or until the date of expiration of the rabies vaccination, whichever date is earlier.

5. USDA Endorsements for the below referenced forms:

  • Microchip Implantation Record
  • Rabies Certificate
  • Vet Letter
  • EU Vet Health Certificate

These must be sent to your local USDA for their stamp of approval. Please contact your PetRelocation Specialist to learn more about best way of handling this.

6. International Health Certificate: Your vet should have these in stock. It’s a good idea to call ahead and ask.  This is an international health certificate that needs to be completed by your vet within 10 days of departure. Depending on the logistics of your particular pet relocation and the specific health certificate being used (APHIS Form 7001) an additional USDA Endorsement maybe required on this health certificate. Speak to your PetRelocation Specialist regarding the USDA portion of this process.

7. All original documentation listed above must travel with the pets.

8. In order for us to successfully clear customs we will need the following documents supplied prior to the pet’s arrival:

  • Copy of pet owner's passport
  • A signed letter of transfer from your company on letterhead
  • A copy of your residency card (if available)
  • A copy of your plane/e-ticket/boarding pass (if available)


Questions? Please contact us.

Local Pet Resources

Want to be added to our listings?  Contact us!


Medizinisches Versorgungszentrum Montabaur: Joseph-Kehreinstr. 1-3, Montabaur – PH:  +49 2602 3141

Wuerzburg Veterinary Clinic: Building 26, Leighton Barraks PH:  350 7429 CIV:  0931 889 7429

Tierschutzverein für Berlin und Umgebung Kooperation e.V.: Hausvaterweg 39 13057 Berlin, Germany 030/76888 - 0


Germany is a country that has produced many great dog breeds including the German Shepherd Dog, and it is situated in West Central Europe. Germany is bordered on the east, south and west by Poland, the Czech Republic, Austria, Switzerland, France, Luxembourg, Belgium and the Netherlands. It is bordered on the north by the North Sea, Denmark, and the Baltic Sea.

Capital: Berlin

Languages: German

Currency: Euro (€) (EUR)

Germany has the second largest population in Europe and is seventh largest in area. The territory of Germany covers 137,850 sq mi, consisting of 134,835 sq mi of land and 3,010 sq mi of water. Elevation ranges from the mountains of the Europe's major rivers such as the Rhine, Danube and Elbe. Germany shares borders with more European countries than any other country on the continent. Its neighbors are Denmark in the north, Poland and the Czech Republic in the east, Austria and Switzerland in the south, France and Luxembourg in the south-west and Belgium and the Netherlands in the North West.

Alps in the south to the shores of the North Sea in the north-west and the Baltic Sea in the north-east. Between lie the forested uplands of central Germany and the low-lying lands of northern Germany.


Most of Germany has a cool, temperate climate in which humid westerly winds predominate. The climate is moderated by the North Atlantic Drift, which is the northern extension of the Gulf Stream. This warmer water affects the areas bordering the North Sea including the peninsula of Jutland and the area along the Rhine, which flows into the North Sea. Consequently in the north-west and the north, the climate is oceanic; rainfall occurs year round with a maximum during summer. Winters there are mild and summers tend to be cool, though temperatures can exceed 30 °C (86 °F) for prolonged periods. In the east, the climate is more continental; winters can be very cold, summers can be very warm, and long dry periods are often recorded. Central and southern Germany has transition regions which vary from moderately oceanic to continental. Again, the maximum temperature can exceed 30 °C (86 °F) in summer.

Campus Germany, www.campus-germany.de/english/4.html, has excellent background information for students who are living in Germany.

Expats in Bavaria, www.expats-in-bavaria.com, is a portal for the expatriate community for those living and working in Germany

EXBERLINER, www.exberliner.com, is the English-language paper for Berlin. EXBERLINER provides intelligent journalism and up to date listings of events in the capital city. Find out whats on and where in English!