Help Me Move My Pet


Attention:  This information is to be used as general guidelines and may not be updated to meet the current requirements.  Before you travel, be sure to contact the appropriate authorities for your destination country.


1. Microchip:  Each Pet shall be identified by means of a microchip.  No other form of identification is acceptable. The microchip used should comply with ISO Standard 11784 or Annex A to ISO standard 11785. Portugal currently accepts AVID 9 and AVID 10 in addition to ISO. The microchip must be implanted before the rabies vaccine is administered.

2. Rabies Vaccination and Certificate: All pets must have an original Rabies Certificate signed by the vet. The Rabies vaccine must be at least 21 days old at the time of the final health exam.

3. It is suggested that all animals have full vaccinations, as well:

Dogs:  Distemper, Hepatitis, Leptospirosis, Parainfluenza and Parvovirus (DHLPP) and Bordatella.

Cats: Feline Viral Rhinotracheitis, Calicivirus and Panleukopenia (FVRCP).

These should be valid at the time of import and administered no less than two weeks before export date for maximum effectiveness.

4. EU Health Certificate (Form Annex II): This will be provided by your PetRelocation Specialist. This is the standard Health Certificate to be filled out by your accredited Veterinarian and must be signed in a different color than that of the certificate's printing (usually blue ink).  This certificate is valid for 10 days from the date of issue by the official veterinarian until the date of the checks at the EU point of entry.  For the purpose of further movements within the EU, this certificate will be valid for a total of 4 months from the date of issue or until the date of expiration of the rabies vaccination, whichever date is earlier.

4) USDA Endorsement:  The below referenced forms:

  • Microchip Implantation Record
  • Rabies Certificate
  • Vet Letter
  • EU Vet Health Certificate

Must be sent to your local USDA for their stamp of approval.  Please contact your PetRelocation.com representative on the best way of handling this.

5)  International Health Certificate:  Your vet should have these in stock.  It’s a good idea to call ahead and ask.  This is an international health certificate that needs to be completed by your vet within 10 days of departure.  Depending on the logistics of your particular pet relocation and the specific health certificate being used (APHIS Form 7001) an additional USDA Endorsement maybe required on this health certificate.  Speak to your PetRelocation.com specialist regarding the USDA portion of this process.

6)  All original documentation listed above must travel with the pets.

7)  In order for us to successfully clear customs we will need the following documents supplied prior to the animal’s arrival:

·         Copy of Pet Owner’s Passport

·         Note from Pet Owner’s Employer for the Relocation



1.  Vetset Clínica Veterinária Palmela (Veterinary Clinic)At: Av. da Liberdade, lote 4 loja 3, 2950-201 PalmelaTel: 212 330 197Fax: 212 330 197

2.  Consultório Veterinário Setúbal (Veterinary Consultancy) At: Praceta José Régio nº 4,  Bairro Urbisado, 2900-168 SetúbalTel: 265 552 496Fax: 265 552 496

Pet Friendly Hotels

1.  Le Méridien Park Atlantic Lisboa Rua Castilho 149Lisbon,Portugal 1099-034 351 21 381 8700

2.  Mercure Aveiro Rua Luis gomes De carvalho 23 Aveiro,Portugal PH:  351-234-404400















The British Council Lisbon, www.britishcouncil.org/portugal, specializes in educational opportunities and cultural relations with locations across Portugal.

Americans in Portugal ( AmP), amportugal.planetaclix.pt, is a club for American expatriates in Portugal; ddprice98@hotmail.com

American Club of Lisbon, www.americancluboflisbon.com. Tel: 213 529 308; fax: 213 529 309; americanclub@mail.telepac.pt

Portugal Roots Web provides information about Portuguese culture.

Portuguese Culture Web, www.portcult.com, offers cultural information about Portugal.