Are The Rules Different for Frequent Pet Travelers?

Name: Cheryl
Number of Pets: 1
Pet Type: Canine
Pet Breed: Lab
From: Greece
To: US

Dear PetRelocation,

We recently moved from the US to Greece due to my husband's work. My question is, what do I need for our dog if we will be traveling back and forth? I currently obtained a vet here in Greece and now have a pet passport. What else do I need?

Coming to Greece I had to have tons of paperwork completed from the US and Greece.




Hi Cheryl,

Thanks for checking in! It's great that you already have an idea of what moving a pet entails, and we're happy to fill in the blanks where you have questions.

These are the pet import requirements for the United States. They're much easier than the requirements for Greece -- basically you just need to show proof of an updated rabies vaccine and have a vet health certificate.

Now, if you want to go back to Greece, you'll have to meet all of the Greece requirements once again. If you keep your dog up to date on all vaccines it may be a little easier than the first time, but you'll still need to obtain the same paperwork and endorsements from the USDA, etc.

Each time you cross back and forth from the US to Greece, you'll need to look to the requirements once again and make sure you meet them, visit your vet for a new health certificate, and make sure everything is in order.

If you have any more questions, please don't hesitate to contact us. Thanks again, and good luck with everything!


PetRelocation Team




United States
Back to top