Bringing Pets To: The United Kingdom

The United Kingdom

The United Kingdom

If you plan to transport your pet to the United Kingdom, you've come to the right place. Our team of experts specializes in providing seamless and stress-free pet transportation services. Contact us today to learn more about how we can assist you in transporting your pet to the UK.

Need Our Support?

Let's Get Moving

What to Know Before Transporting Dogs and Cats to the UK

United Kingdom Import Requirements and Timeline

Beso: US to the United Kingdom

Microchip and Vaccinations

Time frame: we recommend starting at least 30 days ahead

If you're bringing your furry friend to the United Kingdom, knowing that all pets must be microchipped and vaccinated before entering the country is essential. Keep reading below to ensure that you meet all the specific requirements and details for transporting your pet.

How to start the process of moving your pet to the United Kingdom

Transporting pets to the United Kingdom requires compliance with several strict regulations to ensure the health and safety of the animals.

Here are the key points to keep in mind:

  • Each pet must have a microchip implanted that meets ISO Standard 11784 or Annex A to ISO standard 11785. The United Kingdom also accepts AVID-9 and AVID-10 microchips.
  • The microchip must be implanted before the rabies vaccine is administered.
  • All pets must have an original Rabies Certificate signed by the vet. The Rabies vaccine must be at least 21 days old during the final health exam and endorsement.
  • Dogs must be treated for tapeworms within 120 hours of arriving in the United Kingdom.
  • Dogs and cats should be vaccinated against various diseases, including Distemper, Hepatitis, Leptospirosis, Parainfluenza, Parvovirus (DHLPP), Bordetella (dogs), Feline Viral Rhinotracheitis, Calicivirus, Panleukopenia (FVRCP) (cats).
  • These vaccines should be valid at the time of import and administered no less than two weeks before the export date for maximum effectiveness.

It's important to note that the requirements for transporting pets to the UK may vary depending on the type of animal and the country of origin. Therefore, consulting with a professional pet transportation service or a veterinary professional is crucial to ensure compliance with all applicable regulations.

Further details regarding the rabies vaccine:

  • Pets may travel to the United Kingdom with a current one-year vaccine (also known as a "primary" vaccine).
  • Pets may travel to the United Kingdom with a 3-year vaccine administered less than a year ago (otherwise, it may be considered a booster).

Recommended vaccines include:

  • Dogs: Distemper, Hepatitis, Leptospirosis, Parainfluenza and Parvovirus (DHLPP) and Bordetella.
  • Cats: Feline Viral Rhinotracheitis, Calicivirus and Panleukopenia (FVRCP).

Layla: US to the United Kingdom

Import Documentation

Time frame: Within 10 days prior to departure (non-commercial)

We're here to help simplify the paperwork process for you and your veterinarian. At this stage, we offer detailed templates for your veterinarian and address any concerns or questions they may have to ensure all forms are properly completed.

Proper paperwork prevents hangups at customs

UK Health Certificate

Transporting your pet to the UK requires several important documents to ensure the health and safety of the animal. Here are the details you need to know:

UK Health Certificate: Your dedicated relocation coordinator will provide you with the standard Health Certificate your accredited veterinarian must complete. The certificate must be signed in a different color than the certificate's printing, usually in blue ink. This certificate is valid for ten days from the date of issue by the official veterinarian until the date of the checks at the UK point of entry.

USDA Endorsements

You'll need to obtain approval from your local USDA for the following forms: Please get in touch with your PetRelocation Coordinator to learn more about the best way to manage this.

  • Microchip Implantation Record
  • Rabies Certificate
  • UK Vet Health Certificate
  • Airline Health Certificate

It's essential to ensure that your veterinarian completes the international health certificate within ten days of departure. You can check with your vet to see if they have the necessary documents in stock, and it's a good idea to call ahead and ask.

There is a five-day rule for commercial moves to complete the health certificate. Your dedicated relocation coordinator can provide additional details on the commercial move requirements to ensure you comply with all applicable regulations.

Piper and Owen: US to the United Kingdom

The 5-Day Rule (and more)

Important information to keep your move on track.

It's crucial to be aware of the unique regulations specific to transporting pets to the UK and other EU countries. Stay informed and prepared to ensure a smooth and stress-free journey for you and your pet.

What to know about about commerical moves and breed bans

The UK 5-Day Rule

For pets to fly "non-commercially," they must fly within five days of their owner. If you can't meet this 5-Day Rule, your move will be considered commercial, which changes the UK import requirements and timeline. Contact your relocation coordinator to discuss commercial moves.

Banned breeds in the United Kingdom

Not all dog breeds are allowed in this country. You may not be able to bring your pet if they are one of the following breeds (or a mix of one):

  • Pit Bull Terrier
  • Japanese Tosa
  • Dogo Argentino
  • Fila Braziliero (Brazilian Mastiff) 

If a dog resembling one of these breeds arrives in the UK, it could be seized by the authorities and returned to its origin at the owner's expense.

Unlisted Countries and additional requirements

If you come from an "unlisted country," your pet will need a rabies antibody test (titer). Follow these steps:

  • Microchip and rabies vaccination (at least 30 days old before blood draw)
  • Rabies antibody test performed by an accredited veterinarian and sent to a UK-approved laboratory.
  • Wait 90 days after the blood draw before completing export paperwork (assuming a passing result)

Stay informed and work closely with your relocation coordinator to ensure a successful move for you and your beloved pet.

Find out if your origin country is listed here

Travel Stories and Tips

Back to top