Bringing Pets To: The United States

The United States

The United States

Moving to the United States with pets in tow? We can help! Meet our experts and see how we can make this portion of your relocation as stress-free as possible so that you can focus on your human move.

Need Our Support?

Request Support

What to Know Before Moving Dogs and Cats to the United States

United States Import Requirements and Timeline

Sadie: United Kingdom to the United States

Microchip and Vaccinations

Time frame: we recommend starting at least 30 days ahead

All pets entering the United States must be vaccinated against rabies. Not all states require a microchip for entry, but PetRelocation always recommends having your pets microchipped. 

How to start the process of moving your pet to the United States

Make sure your pet is vaccinated against rabies. While most states within the United States will accept any valid rabies vaccination, some may require a vaccine that is older than 21 days. Pets should travel with an original Rabies Certificate signed by the vet. 

Other recommended vaccines and veterinary requirements include:

  • We recommend all pets have a microchip before entering the United States. The US accepts both AVID and ISO microchips. 
  • Dogs: Distemper, Hepatitis, Leptospirosis, Parainfluenza and Parvovirus (DHLPP) and Bordetella.
  • Cats: Feline Viral Rhinotracheitis, Calicivirus and Panleukopenia (FVRCP).

These should be valid at the time of import and administered no less than two weeks before export date for maximum effectiveness.

Jessie: China to the United States

Import Documentation

Time frame: within 10 days of travel

At this stage, we provide detailed templates for your veterinarian and answer any questions regarding the proper completion of all forms.

Proper paperwork prevents hangups at customs

All pets need a health certificate stating they are healthy and fit to fly. This certificate must be completed by your vet within 10 days of travel.

It's likely that no special import rules apply to your state beyond the general US pet import rules. However, if you're moving to one of the states below, take a look to learn more.








New York



Ringo: Spain to United States

Ground transportation (and why you may need it)

Long drives across country

Once in the United States, or if you are traveling only within the United States, your pets may need to travel by ground transportation.  This would depend on a number of factors including destination, current weather, breed and size of your pet. 

Flight restrictions for certain pets

Traveling within the United States with your pet may come with its' own set of restrictions. Therefore, ground transportation may be the best option. Airlines may restrict flights within the United States based on the following: 

  • Breed: if your pet is considered a "snub nose" pet they may not be able to fly within the United States. 
  • Size: not all domestic flights within the US can carry larger pets. 
  • Weather: weather embargoes, especially in the summer months, may restrict what flights your pets can travel.  

Learn more about moving your pets within the United States. 

Our US Team

Meet the experts behind your pet's move!

Travel Stories and Tips

Back to top