Bringing Pets To: China



Our clients are often surprised to learn that the process of bringing a pet to China requires a significant amount of time and preparation. Our team of experts can provide an explanation of what this looks like, in addition to managing your pet's entire move so you don't have to navigate it alone!

Need Our Support?

Request Support

What to Know Before Bringing Dogs and Cats to China

China Pet Import Requirements and Timeline

Microchip and Vaccinations

Time frame: at least 30 days before departure date

Does your pet have records in multiple locations? Is your veterinarian properly accredited? Are all required vaccinations in line with import and export regulations? There is a lot to consider. We’ve got you covered!

China requires multiple vaccines and a blood test, which typically results in 3-4 vet visits, all of which we will manage. Our team also provides sample documents to help ensure everything is properly filled out and signed the first time. Our relocation coordinators manage an average of 190 vet visits per month, and stay up to date on regulatory changes so you and your vet don’t have to.

All pets entering China must be microchipped and vaccinated. Read more below for specific details and requirements. 

How to start the process of moving your pet to China


An ISO-15 Digit Microchip is required for entry into China. 

Rabies Vaccination and Certificate

All pets must have two rabies vaccines and original rabies certificates. These certificates must contain all vaccine information. The first rabies vaccine must be administered more than 30 days from the day of departure but within the last year. This vaccine must be an inactivated vaccine.

Please note: the second rabies vaccine and certificate is now required to enter China without quarantine. 

It is suggested that dogs and cats have the following vaccinations as well:

  • Canine Distemper, Parvovirus, Hepatitis and Leptospirosis
  • Feline Cat Flu-Feline Calicivirus
  • Feline Viral Rhinotracheitis
  • Chlamydia Psittaci
  • Cat Enteritis-Feline Panleukopaenia/Feline Parvo Virus

Jake: US to China

Blood Tests and Other Treatments

Making sure testing and treatments are done on time

To avoid quarantine, your pet will need two rabies vaccines and a passing titer blood test.

Make sure strict timelines are met

Rabies Titer (Rabies Antibody) Test

Your pet will need a rabies vaccine that is valid and under one year old at time of travel. Once that vaccine is 30 days old, your pet can get their second rabies vaccine.

After the second rabies vaccination, your pet can receive a rabies antibody test by an accredited veterinarian to ensure that the vaccination has provided adequate rabies antibody levels. The sample must be tested at a facility approved by the Government of China. Your vet will need to scan your pet’s microchip prior to the blood draw for the rabies antibody test.

The date the blood was drawn can be any date after the second rabies vaccination is administered.

Once these results have been returned to either yourself or the vet, you can move forward with planning your pet’s travel to China. Please contact your Relocation Coordinator at this time for further instruction.

Mylo: US to China

Veterinary Credentials

Time frame: at least 30 days after your pet's first rabies vaccine

Your veterinarian must issue two signed rabies vaccine certificates and submit a passing rabies titer test.

What happens if your veterinarian isn't accredited?

  • Your dedicated relocation coordinator has likely already worked with an accredited vet in your area, or can recommend one.
  • At this stage, we provide detailed templates for your veterinarian and answer any questions regarding the proper completion of the form.
  • It's not uncommon for a client's veterinarian to lack these required credentials for import. However, we can provide guidance with this process if they'd like to become accredited. 
  • Did you know about the timeline for the final vet visit? In order to avoid delays, we include this in our service with a veterinarian we know and trust with international travel preparation!

Chloe: US to China

Import Documentation

Time frame:within 7 days of departure

Once you have your test results back, you'll need to make an appointment with a USDA accredited veterinarian within 7 days of your planned travel date. 

Avoid paperwork headaches by hiring experienced pet movers

Veterinary Health Certificate for Export of Dogs and Cats from The US to China

This China-specific USDA health certificate should be filled out by your USDA accredited veterinarian. This must be issued within 10 days of the flight.

USDA Endorsements

The following must be sent to your local USDA for their stamp of approval. Please ask your Relocation Coordinator to find out more about the best way to manage this.

  • Two Rabies Certificates
  • Vaccination Records
  • A Passing Rabies Antibody Test
  • Veterinary Health Certificate for Export of Dogs/Cats from The US to China

Chico: US to China

Quarantine and other information

Your pet should be able to avoid quarantine in China.

If your pet does not meet the above requirements upon entry to China, you must complete 30 days of quarantine through an approved port

Additional Information


If your pet does not meet the above requirements upon entry to China, you must complete 30 days of quarantine through an approved port. We know this can be difficult to navigate, so we encourage you to contact our experts to learn how you can provide the most comfortable travel experience for your pet!

Dog License 

Many major cities in China also require that dog owners obtain a dog license once the dog has arrived into the city. Beijing even requires this document prior to export, so if you’re planning on eventually leaving China with your dog it may be a good idea to look into obtaining a dog license upon arrival. This document can be obtained by paying a visit to the local police station with your dog along with your passport, visa, and local address in hand.

One Pet Per Passport

There is a strict one pet per passport rule that cannot be avoided if entering China directly. If you have more than one pet, your second pet's information must all be under of a friend or family member's name who is also moving to China. 

Travel Stories and Tips

Back to top