Driving with a cat: a domestic road trip with a final crossover to Canada

Name: Mar
Number of Pets: 1
Pet Type: Cat (2 years old)
From: Nashville, TN
To: Montreal, QC, Canada

I'm actually moving from Dallas, TX to Nashville, TN. I'll be driving with my cat. We will stay in TN a bit, and then I'll do the big move to Montreal. I intend to drive all the way there, stopping here and there for visits along the path. My question is related to documents. What exactly do I need to cross the border from the US to Canada when I'm driving with my cat? Do I need special documents when traveling inside USA but crossing states? Thanks!

Hi Mar, Thanks for your inquiry!

Sounds like you and your cat have a fun adventure ahead of you. Here are the pet Import Requirements for Canada. Basically you'll need to take care of a few documents and have a current, valid Rabies Vaccination. As far as state-to-state travel, you'll also need a domestic health certificate from your vet issued within ten days of departure.

Check out these 10 Tips for Keeping Your Pet Happy on The Road, and visit our Facebook page to connect with other pet owners who may have faced similar pet travel questions.

Have a great trip, Mar, and let us know if you need anything else!


PetRelocation Team




Back to top