The Essential Guide to Rabies Titer Test for International Pet Transport

Understanding the Rabies Titer Test and Its Role in Pet Travel

Preparing for international pet travel involves navigating various pet import regulations, securing an airline-approved pet travel crate, and booking a pet-friendly airline. In addition, one essential step for moving your pet to certain countries is the rabies titer test.

This guide will walk you through the importance of the rabies titer test, the process of obtaining one, and what you need to know to ensure a smooth pet transport experience.

What is the Rabies Titer Test?

  • The rabies titer test, also known as the Rabies Antibody Titre Test (RNATT), is a blood test that measures the effectiveness of a rabies vaccine.
  • It's required for pets entering rabies-free or rabies-controlled countries such as Australia, Singapore, Japan, and New Zealand.
  • The test is administered 1 to 30 days after the rabies vaccine and involves drawing blood from your pet and sending it to an approved laboratory for analysis.

Who Performs the Test and Where is It Sent?

  • A USDA-accredited veterinarian must perform the blood draw. The sample is then sent to an approved laboratory for analysis. The most common laboratories are Kansas State University (KSU) and FAVN. Your assigned PetRelocation Specialist can guide you through this process.

Key Steps and Considerations for the Rabies Titer Test

  1. Research the Rules: Verify the import regulations and titer test requirements for your destination country.

  2. Microchip Your Pet: Ensure your pet is microchipped before the blood draw. If your pet has multiple microchips, all must be recorded on the test submission form.

  3. Rabies Vaccination: Administer the rabies vaccine before the titer test. Make sure you have the original rabies certificate with the vaccine date.

  4. Timing: Rabies titer test results have an expiration date that varies by country. Consider your move timeline and any changes that could affect validity.

  5. Obtain Test Results: Obtain the official test results, which are required for travel and documentation. Some countries require original results mailed from the approved lab.

Allergic to Rabies Vaccines? Alternative Options

  • For pets allergic to rabies vaccines, KSU offers the alternative of Rapid Fluorescent Focus Inhibition Test (RFFIT) testing.

Expert Assistance for a Stress-Free Pet Move

  • Navigating the complexities of international pet travel can be challenging, but you're not alone. Our team at PetRelocation offers personalized support and guidance to ensure successful pet transport, including handling rabies titer tests and other requirements.

Looking for assistance with your upcoming pet move? Please contact us for a pet travel consultation.


PetRelocation Team




Back to top