International Rabbit Travel to Italy

rabbitShipping Rabbits to Europe

Hi PetRelocation,
What are the regulations and required documentation to bring a domestic rabbit into Italy?
My husband is in the Air Force and we will be stationed at Aviano Air Base in Italy at the end of this summer. We have an 11-month-old rabbit, and I am trying to figure out what the exact regulations are for bringing a domestic rabbit into Italy.
I have been searching numerous websites and I've emailed several Italian consulates across the country, but I have been unable to get any answers.
Please help! I've already found airlines that will allow me to bring him there, but I don't want to get turned away at customs in Rome.
Hi Laura,
Typically we turn to the USDA for official information about importing various pets into countries around the world. On the Italy pet import page, there is a link to a health certificate specifically for rabbits.
The Ministry of Agriculture is another source we often double check with, and for general information about pet travel, please take a look at our blog where we've posted a few frequently asked pet travel questions. For rabbit travel, hydration and using the right travel crate will be important details to attend to.
Hope this helps, Laura! Thanks for getting in touch, and please contact us if you have any further questions or think you'd like some help with your move.
Pet Travel Question Details:

Name: Laura

From: Honolulu, HI

To: Rome, Italy

Pet: PJ, Rabbit Holland Lop, 11 months, 4 lbs


Looking for assistance with your pet's move? Contact us to learn about your pet shipping options.


PetRelocation Team





United States, Hawaii, Italy


Add a Comment

By Ala on July 17, 2017 at 7:00 pm

We will be moving from California to Italy and we are wondering how if at all we can ship our bunnies to move with is, we are military but will be living off base

By on July 18, 2017 at 8:42 am

Hi Ala, thanks for your question!

It appears rabbits are allowed into Italy with the proper paperwork -- here is a little more information via the USDA -- but you'll also need to check with the airline to find out what they require. We typically use United, Lufthansa and KLM for our clients' pets and recommend that you check out their routes and options as you continue to plan.

Hope this helps! If you're interested in hiring some assistance, contact us here to find out more about our services. Thanks again and good luck!


Add a Comment

Name is required

Email is required and must be in the format

Comment is required

Back to top