To get our May Pet Friendly Airline Series going, we took a look at JetBlue's pet-friendly services this week. This airline doesn't just tolerate pets of a certain size, they welcome them, making travel a much more enjoyable experience for scores of people.
If you're thinking of flying with your pet anytime soon, here's a quick re-cap of what we've learned about JetBlue.
10 Things We've Learned about JetBlue Airways
- JetBlue has been flying pets since 2000, and they offer a host of travel accessories, services and pet travel guides to assist their travelers. Read our interview with a JetBlue representative to find out more.
- On Wednesday, JetBlue announced they're holding a pet photo contest that will raise funds for the Millan Foundation—submit your cutest picture via Twitter for a chance to win!
- JetBlue flies pets in the cabin but not as cargo, so owners of small dogs and cats are their primary pet customers. The combined weight of the pet and the carrier cannot exceed 20 pounds.
- JetBlue keeps a blog called BlueTales filled with fun updates and the occasional pet story.
- In addition to earning the standard number, pet travelers will earn an additional 300 True Blue rewards points each time they fly.
- Reservations for pet travel cannot be made online. Rather, customers should call JetBlue if they'd like to book a pet flight.
- JetBlue routes to Jamaica are the only ones that don't allow pet passengers. (As we've discussed on our blog, Jamaica has a very strict pet import policy.)
- How much does it cost to fly a pet on JetBlue? Pet travelers will pay $100 each way.
- To make the flying process as smooth as possible, JetBlue offers a free pet travel guide that can be downloaded from their website.
- Flying is a hassle for some, but for others it's a regular part of life. Moose, a Maltese Poodle, was recently recognized by JetBlue for flying more than 20 times in the past year. Check out a picture of this pro jetsetter below!
PetRelocation.com's Pet Friendly Airline Spotlight Series will feature one airline each week during the month of May. Check back each Monday through Thursday this month for more information about the various pet programs and tips for booking pet-friendly flights.