Pet Travel: Crossing the Mexico Border

Name: Sarah
Number of Pets: 1
Pet Type: dog
Pet Breed: Mix
From: Mexico
To: United States

Hello. I am relocating back to the US with my dog. I brought her down with me via airplane and had to get a health certificate. This time I am driving and entering through Texas by car. Her shots are current and I have her proof of rabies, which is older than 30 days. Do I need a health certificate for her to enter by car? I'm confused because it seems they are only required when using commercial travel. Thanks! - Sarah

Hi Sarah,

Thanks for your question! When traveling by car from Mexico to the US, you'll need to show a valid rabies certificate to the border officials, and your dog will probably undergo a physical examination. It sounds like you're pretty well-prepared, but remember that import regulations to the US (or any country) can change at any time, so you may want to double check the requirements with the border authorities closer to your time of departure.

Good luck in your travels, Sarah, and please contact us if you have any more questions!


PetRelocation Team




Back to top