Pet Travel Question: Cat Travel from Canada to the US

Name: Natalia
Number of Pets: 1
Pet Type: Cat
Pet Breed: Domestic Short Hair
From: Toronto, Canada
To: Fort Lauderdale, FL


We would like to take our cat on vacation with us, and I have a couple of questions:

1. What kind of carrier is required for a cat? (are the small canvas animal bags approved)

2. What kind of paper work is required to get the cat across the border ( if we commute by car) and what kind of paperwork is required if take the cat on an airline?

3. Does the cat need to be sedated for the flight?

Thank you very much for all your help!


Hi Natalia,

Thanks for checking in with us; we're happy to answer your questions! First, here are the pet import requirements for the United States. If you decide to fly, we advise that you check with the airline to find out about any particular regulations they may have regarding the travel carrier, and we recommend that you do not sedate your cat. It might seem like a good way to keep him calm, but actually it could restrict his breathing and end up being harmful.

Feel free to explore our site for more pet travel information, and don't hesitate to contact us if you have any more questions. One of our Relocation Specialists would be happy to speak with you in greater detail. Good luck with your trip!


PetRelocation Team




Back to top