Pet Travel Question: How to Complete the EU 998 and 7001 for Spain

Name: Stephen
Number of Pets: 1
Pet Type: Dog
Pet Breed: Shepherd/Terrier Mix
From: Chicago
To: Spain

I'm going on an extended vacation to Spain and bringing the pooch. I understand these points: getting the correct chip, getting vaccinations (4 weeks minimum before travel) for the APHIS 7001 and EU 998 forms, USDA Approved Vet signature, and having these forms endorsed by the USDA Office. My questions are... if the EU 998 can be completed 4 months prior to travel and the APHIS 7001 has to be a minimum of 10 days, does that mean that they would be re-vaccinated then for the 7001? Does it make more sense to get the 998 and the 7001 completed at the same time and get them endorsed at the same time? Is that cutting it too close? And what is the "Vet Letter"? That is the first I had seen of that. -Thanks, Stephen

Hi Stephen,

There are certainly many steps involved when it comes to international pet travel, but it sounds like you're on the right track.

Take a look at our breakdown of the Pet Import Requirements for Spain and find out more about the APHIS 7001 here. Since the EU 998 must be endorsed by the USDA (along with a few other forms), we recommend allowing plenty of time to get everything in order. The purpose of the 10 day stipulation for the APHIS 7001 is to determine that your pet is truly in good health and safe to fly within the next few days (no "re-vaccinations" should be necessary). 

As for the vet letter, this should be a typed letter on your vet's letterhead that states the date the microchip was implanted. It should include the microchip number and the pet's name, breed, sex and age. The letter should be signed by your vet in blue ink and must be endorsed by the USDA.

Let us know if you have any more questions, and please give us a call if you'd like to speak to one of our Pet Relocation Specialists about handling your move.

Good luck to you and your pooch!


PetRelocation Team




Back to top