Pet travel question: microchips and entering the US

Name: Gary W.
Number of Pets: 1
Pet Type: dog
Pet Breed: Chinese Crested Powderpuff
From: Germany

My dog has an AVID microchip which is not detected by German readers. I need to quickly find a vet with an AVID reader who can issue a health certificate. I am in Dusseldorf, and I will go where ever necessary to get this done. I need to leave Germany on Tuesday to fly to Miami. Thanks! - Gary

Hi Gary,

According to the International Import Requirements for the US, a microchip is not required for entry into the states. You do need an International Health Certificate, however, and your usual vet should be able to issue this to you.

Good luck in getting everything taken care of speedily and smoothly, and give us a call if you need anything else!


PetRelocation Team




Back to top