Pet Travel Question: Moving a Dog from China to Australia

Name: Tony
Number of Pets: 1
Pet Type: Dog
Pet Breed: Dalmatian
From: Shanghai, China
To: Brisbane, Australia

What are the regulations regarding transfer from China (Shanghai) to Australia? My dog has had all the necessary injections and has had the same vet from when she was born. She is in excellent health.


Hi Tony,

Thanks for question! Australia isn’t the easiest place to import a pet, so you’ll want to start your move preparations as soon as you can. To get right to the point, China is not an AQIS approved country, which means you’ll have to take your dog somewhere else before you can go to Australia. Take a look at the pet import requirements for Australia, peruse the AQIS website to find out which countries are approved, and don’t hesitate to contact us if you have any questions or if you’d like some help with your move. Good luck with everything!


PetRelocation Team





Add a Comment

By Iranthi on March 6, 2018 at 9:25 pm

Hi, I have a 4.5 year old cat who needs to be relocated from Shanghai, China to Australia. I'm aware that he would need to go via a 3rd country and would appreciate a quotation from your company for the costs involved. Thanks,Iranthi

By on March 7, 2018 at 11:46 am

Hi Iranthi! We would be happy to provide a quote and more information about how this process works. Please fill out this consultation form and one of our pet relocation experts will contact you as soon as possible!

By RacheL Xia on January 5, 2018 at 3:37 am

My dog Max is a 2-and-a-half-year-old Yorkie. We want to bring him from China(Shanghai) to Australis(Melbourne) but China is a level 9 country so we have to bring him to a third country. The problem is, there is a long waiting line for pets and our options are limited: Hongkong, Singapore, and Korea. All three of these countries are not available for now and I genuinely don't know what to do. The amount of money and time of separation are also issues:( Please help, and provide some suggestions thank you soooo sooooo much

By on January 5, 2018 at 4:03 pm

Hi Rachel,

Thanks for your question! It is possible to relocate your Yorkie by sending him to a category 2 or 3 country first, but you’re correct that it can be both expensive and time-consuming. This can be a confusing process for most pet owners, so we put together a resource for non-approved countries that may help with some initial questions. If you’re going to move forward with the relocation, the best thing you can do is get a rabies titer test done as soon as possible, which serves as the starting point for Australia’s 180-day window—the shortest period of time that must pass before your dog can be imported there. It is important your vet is aware of the process and what labs are approved to perform this test, please reference- Step-By-Step Guide for Non Approved Countries via Category 2 or 3. You mentioned Hong Kong, Singapore, and Korea as options, but I do want to suggest you compare the total time and costs associated with entering these countries (For example, Singapore requires quarantine upon entry, which will increase time spent there and associated expenses).

Although it is not close geographically, some of our clients have chosen the US as their halfway point because the import process for pets is simpler. You may want to look into it and compare your options. After arriving in the second country, you will need to have a second blood test drawn and fulfill the remaining requirements for Australia. This takes a minimum of 6 weeks.

We know this can be quite complicated, so if you decide to enlist the help of a professional, you can fill out our Arrange a Move form and speak with one of our relocation specialists about your options. Best of luck with everything!

Add a Comment

Name is required

Email is required and must be in the format

Comment is required

Back to top