Pet Travel Question: Moving from Israel to the US

Hi PetRelocation,

I moved to Israel a little over a year ago and brought my cat with me. He has gone through all the required health inspections from his vet in Kansas (rabies vaccine and microchip implant).

His rabies vaccine is a year-and-a-half old. I'm thinking about taking him back to the USA to my parents in Kansas. Besides the required health check 10 days prior to entering the country and proof of current vaccinations, what else is required?

Thank you,


Hi Stacey,

Thank you for your question! Here are the pet import regulations for pets entering the US -- they're pretty straightforward and simpler than those for many other countries.

Since you've traveled before it sounds like you're in a good starting place and don't have much else to do. In addition to the health certificate obtained within 10 days of departure  (as you mentioned), just make sure your cat's rabies vaccine is up-to-date and that you meet the requirements of the airline you'll be flying with. As before, make sure you're using an airline-approved travel crate, as well. 

Finally, don't hesitate to let us know if you're interested in hiring some assistance with your move. We've helped many cats travel safely internationally and would be happy to assist you, too.

Thanks again and good luck with your pet travels!

Pet Travel Question Details:

Name: Stacey
Number of Pets: 1
Pet Type: Cat
Pet Breed: Persian
From: Israel
To: US

Editor's Note: This post was originally published in January 2011 and has been updated with new information.


PetRelocation Team





United States
Back to top