Pet Travel Question: Returning with a Dog to the United States

Name: Catherine
Number of Pets: 1
Pet Type: Cat
Pet Breed: Maine Coon Mix
From: London
To: US

I have used you several times in the past, including most recently to get Bailey to London. I am hoping to do a more low budget move back, but would like some advice. As far as I understand, I need proof of vaccination and a health certificate. I know the health certificate has to be within a week, but how recent does the rabies vaccination have to be (I just brought Bailey to the UK last summer)?

Also, I was wondering whether it would be better to have Bailey go to Philadelphia or DC, and which airline is best. Finally, as I recall there are temperature restrictions--can you remind me what those are?





Hi Catherine,

Good to hear from you again! It sounds like you're in pretty good shape for this move, as the US pet import requirements aren't as strict as the UK rules. You'll need an International Health Certificate issued within 10 days of departure and also a rabies vaccination at least 30 days prior to entry.

As you'll recall we definitely recommend taking care in choosing  your airline (we often fly with United), and as far as temperature restrictions, double check with the airline to find out about any last minute changes. We recently discussed summer airline embargoes on our blog, as well.

If you're looking to hire help for part of the trip (an agent to take Bailey to or from the airport, for example), you can check This may help you decide which city you'd like to fly into.

Please give us a call if you have any more questions about your upcoming trip, Catherine. We'd be happy to further assist you!


PetRelocation Team




United States, UK
Back to top