Pet Travel Question: Shipping a Dog from China to the United States

Hi PetRelocation,

Can you assist me with getting my dog from China to Houston, Texas? I will need assistance with the regulations and paperwork. My wife is currently in China until the end of June and we would like to bring the dog with her back to the United States.




Hi Jody,

Sure, we'd be happy to help you move your dog. For quicker service you can call our office: +001-512-362-6100, or you can fill out our online consultation form. The information provided here which will allow our team to look over the details of your move and they'll be in touch soon to offer you an estimate and overview of our services.

For your information, here are the pet import requirements for the United States. This is one of the easiest countries to move a pet—essentially your dog will need an international health certificate issued within 10 days of departure as well as an updated rabies vaccine.

Additionally, we recommend choosing a pet friendly airline and making sure your dog is comfortable spending time in the travel crate, as well.

Let us know if you have any questions—we look forward to hearing from you!

Pet Travel Question Details:

Name: Jody
Number of Pets: 1
Pet Type: Dog
Pet Breed: Small Chinese dog, 10 to 12 pounds
From: Nanning, China
To: Houston, Texas


Contact PetRelocation with questions about bringing your dog to the United States.


Editor's Note: This post was originally published in May 2013 and has been updated with new information.


PetRelocation Team




United States, China


Add a Comment

By Andreas Bruno Dyer on May 17, 2018 at 8:49 am

My wife is in China we need help transporting the dog to the United states JFK New York

By Maegan at PetRelocation on May 18, 2018 at 9:29 am

Hi Andreas! We'd be happy to help! We recently published a new US Import guide on our blog for your review. Also, China also has tricky export requirements so feel free to check out more on our blog post here. If we can be of assistance, please fill out our Arrange A Move form. Hope this helps!

By Bri vining on January 10, 2018 at 11:24 pm

Hello! I have a 62 pound golden retriever in China and I’m want to bring her back to the United States in September. I’m wondering if it is necessary to use a pet moving company or if I can do everything by myself . The company quoted her move in total to be around 6,000USD. This seems to be extremely expensive and I’m wondering if it is actually a reasonable amount or if it should be or could be less expensive to move her.

By Christina at PetRelocation on January 11, 2018 at 10:34 am

Hello Bri,

Good question. A lot of factors go into the price of moving a pet internationally, including the size of your pet, travel dates, and which part of China you’re departing from. Without knowing the details of your move it’s hard to provide the most accurate answer about the quote, but if you’d like to speak with one of our relocation consultants and get an estimate from PetRelocation, you can fill out Arrange a Move form and someone will be in touch with you as soon as possible!

Some pet owners choose to organize their pets’ moves on their own, and we provide as many resources as possible to help them do so. However, depending on the individual situation it can be a difficult process to navigate without the expertise a pet relocation company can provide. Here are some guides we’ve created to help with moves to and from China and the US, along with a summary of what can go into estimating the cost of moving a pet:

A Simple Guide to China Pet Travel
Importing Pets to the USA
How Much Does It Cost to Move My Pet?

I hope this helps, and please let us know if you have any additional questions we can help with. Best of luck with everything!

By Angela on July 25, 2017 at 2:02 am

Hi! I have a small dog in China that hasn't had his rabies or vaccinations shots yet. He is about four months old. Can he be shipped without me? Which airlines allow this? I need to ship him from Changsha, China to San Diego, California.

By on July 25, 2017 at 10:05 am

Hi Angela, we'd be happy to assist!

To start, take a look at the pet import requirements for the United States here. Your dog can fly unaccompanied, but will need to have a rabies vaccine and health certificate to fly. For flights from China to the US, we typically use KLM, Lufthansa or United.

If you're interested in learning about our services and how we can help arrange your move, contact us here to get started.

Hope this helps! Just let us know if we can be of assistance and good luck with everything.


By Austine on April 25, 2017 at 1:08 am

Hi. There's a dog I'm hoping to adopt from China. I come to china for work but live in the USA. I know it must have a rabies shot and health exam before being allowed in the USA. But do you know if the dog can fly without me? Also I'm wondering if there is a rescue in china that could care for the dog for 30 days while it has its rabies shot?Thanks so much Austine

By on April 25, 2017 at 10:29 am

Hi Austine, here is a link to the pet import requirements for the United States: Yes, you can travel separately from your dog. Let us know if you'd like some help arranging this move! Otherwise, you will need to research boarding options in your area and consider hiring someone to bring your pet to the airport in China, check them in, etc. is a great source for finding local agents, or again, you can contact us! Good luck with everything either way.

Add a Comment

Name is required

Email is required and must be in the format

Comment is required

Back to top