Pet Travel Question: Slovakia Import Requirements vs. US Import Requirements

Name: Slavka
Number of Pets: Two
Pet Type: Dogs
Pet Breed: Border Collies
From: California, USA
To: Slovakia

If I am traveling from USA to Slovakia for a six week visit with two dogs. Do I need to have all documents (microchip implantation record, rabies vaccines records, EU vet health certificate, international health certificate) go through the USDA? What is the USDA? I was traveling in 2008 with one dog from Slovakia to the USA, and I needed just an international passport, microchip, rabies and vet records. Also, I imported one of my dogs from Slovakia to the USA, so do I need a USA passport for him?


Hi Slavka,

The import requirements for the US are a bit more relaxed than those for Slovakia, so yes, you will have to take a few extra steps to get your dogs back there. The USDA (the United States Department of Agriculture) must endorse the required paperwork, so you'll need to allow time in your pre-travel schedule to send and receive the forms.

Here is more information regarding the specific US export requirements to Slovakia. Take a look and please contact us if you have any more questions or if you'd like to chat about your options. It's understandable that you want to bring your dogs wherever you go, but it's also possible you might decide that this is a pretty time-consuming procedure for a trip that will just last a few weeks. Good luck!


PetRelocation Team




Back to top