PetRelocation.com Offers Travel Tips for Pet OwnersAustin, TX Nearly two-thirds of all American households have at least one pet and according to a recent report from the Travel Industry Association of America, approximately 29 million Americans traveled long distances with their pets over a three year period. As a result, PetRelocation.com president, Kevin OגBrien, is offering tips for those who plan on transporting their pets while traveling.
Pet owners need to take prudent steps to ensure safe and comfortable travel for their animals, particularly those who travel by air,Ӕ said OBrien. His suggestions include:
1. Purchase the right travel crate. ғA travel crate is the most important item you will purchase when relocating your pet, said OԒBrien. If traveling by air, the size of the crate is required by law to meet minimum dimension requirements. The internal crate measurement has to be greater than the length of your pet by at least 2 to 3 inches. There also must be adequate ventilation and water for the animal.Ӕ
2. Crate train your pet. Most pets experience stress while flying because they are not properly crate trained,Ӕ OBrien said. ғProperly preparing animals for long flights in confined spaces will reduce the travel-induced stress. Get your pet accustomed to its travel crate well ahead of your travel date.
3. Plan Ahead. ԓMoving with pets is a complicated process, especially if youre planning international travel,Ҕ noted OBrien. ғSome countries require at least six months of preparation before your pet is allowed to enter the country. Using a pet moving service like PetRelocation.com will ease the burden of taking your pets across the country or around the globe.
4. Do not sedate or tranquilize. ԓOver-sedation is the biggest cause of animal deaths during airline transport and accounts for more than half of all deaths, warned OԒBrien. Except for special circumstances, veterinarians should not dispense sedatives for animals that are going to travel by air.Ӕ
5. Limit food intake. Limit a petӒs food intake the day before travel, said OBrien. ғAlthough a pet may initially disagree, scaling back food intake can make for a more comfortable trip.
6. Get a vet check-up. ԓA veterinarian must be consulted before your departure date, noted OԒBrien. When traveling within the United States, you must obtain a domestic health certificate dated within 10 days of departure. A valid rabies certificate is also needed.Ӕ
OBrien says that these and other sensible steps will make the next travel experience positive for both travelers and pets alike.
Headquartered in Austin, TX, PetRelocation.com is a one-stop-shop for the local, national and international transportation of live animals, with a strong emphasis on assisting companies with relocating employees who are pet owners. For more information, visit www.petrelocation.com or call 877-PET-MOVE (738-6683).