Shipping a dog from the US to UK

Pet Travel Question:

Name: Donna
Subject: Pet shipping a dog from USA to UK
Question: What are the rules on shipping a dog from the US to UK, and do the dogs have to go into pet travel quarantine?


Hello Donna!

If you follow these steps and complete these requirements, there should not be any quarantine time (there is a six month wait that can be completed at your home in the US and upon arrival into the UK your dog should be eligible for instant release), it's called the "Pet Scheme."

In order:

1) Microchip - Your dog needs to be microchipped, no other form of identification is acceptable. The microchip used should comply with ISO Standard 11784 or Annex A to ISO Standard 11785. The microchip implantation must be done before the rabies vaccination. Make sure the Vet scans the chip prior to implant so we know it works.

2) Rabies Vaccination & Certificate - Your dog must have an original Rabies Certificate and this certificate must state the microchip number, the date of inoculation and the validity of the particular vaccination you obtain - some are good for two years, others are only good for one.

3) Rabies Titer / FAVN-OIE Tests -  FAVN or Fluorescent Antibody Viral Neutralization (FAVN) Blood Test is to ensure that the rabies vaccinations have provided adequate rabies antibody levels and will need to be approved by an approved Government Facility  prior to export (i.e. the USDA).

To obtain a Rabies Titer/FAVN test:

Your vet will need to send a serum sample, accompanied by a completed FAVN Report Form, to the Kansas State University lab* to do the FAVN test. The Kansas State Lab will then send the FAVN Report Form with the results of the test back to the submitting clinic.

If the FAVN test is approved:

The 'Six Month Wait' begins at the day of blood draw.

The results of the blood test must be 0.5 IU/ml or above in order to qualify for entry.

*Please call KSU prior to sending the blood to make sure they are aware of the delivery and the destination location.  We also suggest, prior to shipping the blood, that you ask how they want the blood container labeled and how they want it sent to them.  These labs do change their policy often, so its best to double check with them.

4) Letter From Your Vet - Please have a typed letter, on the Vet's Company Letterhead, which states the date the microchip was implanted. Please include the microchip number and your dog's information (name, breed, sex, and age).

*Please note - if the Rabies Vaccination and the blood draw date were done on the same day, please state that the vaccination was given BEFORE the blood was drawn. This letter needs to be signed by your vet in blue ink.

5) EU Vet Health Certificate (Form EC#:998) - This is the standard Health Certificate to be filled our by your accredited Veterinarian. This certificate is valid for 4 months prior to departure date, so do not get this issued too early.

6) USDA Endorsement - The above referenced forms (Microchip Implantation Record, Rabies Certificate, Rabies Titer Test Results, Vet Letter, and EU Health Certificate) must be sent to your local USDA for their stamp of approval.

7) 24-48 hours prior to departure your Vet will need to issue both an International Health Certificate and the Tick/Tapeworm Treatments they have administered.

*International Health Certificate is Form 7001

*The tick and tapeworm treatment must contain the ingredient praziquantel.

Additional Notes:

The correct date format for all paperwork is dd/mm/yyyy and all paperwork must be completed in blue ink.

Hope this helps, and for more information please check out the Pet Travel Scheme information on our website.

If you'd like some help relocating your pet to the UK with you, please fill out our online consultation form here to get started. Have a good move!


PetRelocation Team




Back to top