Shipping a Dog to the UK Safely?

Name: Risa

Subject: Rules and Regs. & How to ship my small dog to UK safely?

Question: Also...does my dog have to go in pet travel quarantine?


Answer: Hello Risa!

There are some pet transport requirements you will need to fulfill in order to be able to get your dog into the UK and make it through customs. Please note- the rules change depending on which country you will be coming from, so if you're not leaving from the US the requirements will be different from what is below:

If coming from the US, you will be able to avoid quarantine in the UK if you follow these rule and requirements:

1) First, your dog will need to be microchipped. The microchip used should comply with ISO standard 11784 or Annex A to ISO standard 11785. The microchip implantation must be done before the rabies vaccination.

2) Next, rabies vaccination & certificate. All pets must have have an original Rabies Certificate and this certificate must state the microchip number, the date of inoculation and the validity of the particular vaccination you obtain.

3) Third, your dog will need rabies titer/ FAVN-OIE tests.  FAVN or Fluorescent Antibody Viral Neutralization (FAVN) Blood Test is to ensure that the rabies vaccinations have provided adequate rabies antibody levels and will need to be approved by an approved Government Facility  prior to export (i.e. the USDA). 

To obtain a Rabies Titer/FAVN test:

Your vet will need to send a serum sample, accompanied by a completed FAVN Report Form, to the Kansas State University lab* to do the FAVN test. The Kansas State Lab will then send the FAVN Report Form with the results of the test back to the submitting clinic.

Rabies Laboratory

Kansas State University

2005 Research Park Circle

Manhattan, KS 66502

tel. 785-532-4483

fax 785-532-4474

If the FAVN test is approved:

The 'Six Month Wait' begins at the day of blood draw.

The results of the blood test must be 0.5 IU/ml or above in order to qualify for entry.

*Please call KSU prior to sending the blood to make sure they are aware of the delivery and the destination location.  We also suggest, prior to shipping the blood, that you ask how they want the blood container labeled and how they want it sent to them.  These labs do change their policy often, so its best to double check with them.

4) Then, you will need a letter from your vet which states the date the microchip was implanted. Please note, if the Rabies Vaccination and the blood draw date were done on the same day, please state that the vaccination was given before the blood was drawn.

5) Next, you will need to obtain an EU Vet Health Certificate (Form EC#: 998). This is the standard health certificate to be filled out by your accredited vet. This certificate is valid for 4 months prior to departure date, so do not get this issued too early.

6) Then, you will need to obtain an USDA Endorsement for the above referenced forms, which much be sent to your local USDA for their stamp of approval.

7) Finally, 24-48 hours prior to departure, you will need to go back to your veterinarian so they can issue both, an International Health Certificate and the Tick/Tapeworm Treatments they have administered.

Hope this information helps, and for more information please see our Pet Travel Scheme rules on our website. This is something we could absolutely help you out with, our UK Specialist, Scotty, would be happy to answer any further questions you may have. His e-mail address is Scotty[at]petrelocation[dot]com. Good luck and have a good trip!


PetRelocation Team




Back to top