Top Relocation Destinations: Moving Pets to Switzerland

Geneva, SwitzerlandMoving pets abroad comes with a lot of baggage (literally and figuratively). Will they handle the trip okay? Do you have all the paperwork completed correctly? The questions go on and on, but the good news is that you’re not the first one to attempt a pet move.

Moving for a job can be especially stressful, and Switzerland (along with Singapore, which we outlined a few days ago) is one of the more popular destinations for relocating employees these days. If a pet relocation to Switzerland lies ahead of you, there are a few things you should know.

Steps for Moving a Pet to Switzerland

1. Microchip

Each pet needs a microchip—no other form of identification is acceptable. The microchip used should comply with ISO Standard 11784 or Annex A to ISO standard 11785.

2. Full Vaccinations (Recommended)
For Dogs:  Distemper, Hepatitis, Parvo, Leptospirosis, (DHLPP) and Rabies within the last 12 months or a minimum of 4 weeks before arrival.

For Cats:  Feline Viral Rhinotracheitis, Calicivirus, Panleukopenia (FVRCP), and Rabies within the last 12 months or a minimum of 4 weeks before arrival.

3. EU Vet Health Certificate (Form EC#998) 
The form can be provided to you by

4. USDA Endorsement
The following forms should be endorsed by the appropriate authority:

-Microchip Implantation Record (though not required, this is recommended if it’s available)
-Rabies Certificate
-EU Vet Health Certificate

5. International Health Certificate
Your vet should have these in stock, but they can also be found online. This is an international health certificate that needs to be completed by your vet within 10 days of departure.  Depending on the logistics of your particular pet relocation and the specific health certificate being used (APHIS Form 7001), an additional USDA Endorsement may be required on this health certificate. This is also required by the airlines.

6. All original documentation listed above must travel with the pets.

7. If the owner is not on the same flight as the pet, the following documents are needed:
-Copy of pet owner’s passport
-Note from pet owner’s employer for the relocation
-Owner’s flight itinerary

Find out more about international pet moves at, and please contact a Pet Relocation Specialist with any questions you have.


PetRelocation Team




Back to top