Traveling With Dogs to the United States from Ecuador

Hi PetRelocation,

I am planning buy a dog while I am on vacation in my home country of Ecuador. However, I do not know of the requirements that I need to complete in order for my dog to relocate here to the United States.

I understand there are a few vaccinations that the dog is supposed to have and there is a set limit of days that the dog has to be vaccinated within. If you could please tell me who I can speak to about this in New York City or if you could help me out that would be great.

Thank You,



Hi Andy,

Thank you for your question—we'd be happy to help. For reference, here are the pet import requirements for the United States. If all rules are followed there is no quarantine upon arrival, and the United States does not have any current dog breed restrictions.

As a quick explanation, you'll need to have your dog vaccinated against rabies at least 30 days before departure and you'll need an International Health Certificate to show the airline your dog is healthy and fit to fly. We recommend choosing a pet friendly airline and working on crate training in the weeks before you move (this helps your dog enjoy a less stressful flight).

Here is a more detailed explanation of these essential pet travel tips. If you're interested in finding out more about our door-to-door services, please take a moment to fill out our online consultation form.

Hope this helps to get you started! Just let us know if we can be of further assistance and good luck with everything.


Pet Travel Question Details:

Name: Andy
Number of Pets: 1
Pet Type: Dog
Pet Breed: German Shepherd
From: Ecuador
To: United States


PetRelocation Team




United States


Add a Comment

By jordan on July 24, 2018 at 11:27 am

hi PetRelocation,i am thinking of traveling with a pet that i purchased a day ago 7/23/2018 hes only a month and a half old. today 7/24/2018 is the day im taking my dog to get its shots requierd for traveling. i was reading that the dog has to have its vaccination 30 days before leaving the country but i leave on sunday the 7/29/18. would it be hard for me to leave the country with my doggy?

By Edwin calvache on July 17, 2018 at 10:52 am

Cant find a fly to Ecuador quito my pitbull his 100 pounds would really appreciate if u can help me out

By Liana on March 7, 2018 at 1:51 pm

Hi, I moved to NY last year, I left my 5 year old pug back in Ecuador, I would really appreciate if you can help me with some guidance for the process since I've been looking online and there's a lot of restrictions for this breed to travel by air. Thank you very much.

By Christina Q. on March 8, 2018 at 2:50 pm

Hi Liana,

There are pet-friendly airlines that accept snub-nosed breeds, including pugs, but have restrictions in place that help prevent them from flying in hot weather. Two examples are United Airlines and Lufthansa. Because of this, you would need to plan travel during a month when average temperatures are low enough. This is one of a few ways you can travel safely with snub-nosed breeds.

In addition to booking air travel, you will need to make sure import requirements for importing your pet to the United States are met. You can find an overview of those requirements here. If you would like to speak with a relocation consultant about professional services for this move, we have a team of experts who move pets internationally each day. Please fill out this form and someone on our team will contact you as soon as possible!

By Harley on November 21, 2017 at 3:27 pm

I am bringing a pitbull mix from ecuador to florida. Wll this be a problem and which airlne is t best. ? Thank- you

By Lory on May 22, 2018 at 4:03 am

Hi Harley. Im looking to bring my pitbull from Ecuador to Canada( last stop) Can you tell me if you flew your dog safely out of Ecuador. Any details would be super helpful. Thanks so much. Lory

By on November 21, 2017 at 5:07 pm

Hello Harley, great question!

Have you looked into booking your dog with United yet? We would recommend using this airline since they have the PetSafe program to accommodate traveling animals.

With that, while the United States does not have any restrictions on PitBull mixes, you may need to get a special travel crate (called a CR-82) for your dog to travel in. This is a requirement that some airlines, including United, have for PitBulls specifically.

We hope this helps, but if you need further assistance please let us know here. Safe travels to you and your dog!

Add a Comment

Name is required

Email is required and must be in the format

Comment is required

Back to top