Vacationing with a Dog to Peru

Name: Angie
Number of Pets: 1
Pet Type: Dog
Pet Breed: Weimaraner
From: Texas/Lima, Peru
To: Lima, Peru/Texas

I would like to get some information about which papers or steps do I need to follow in order to take my dog to Lima, Peru for two months only and then come back to Texas, where we have resided since 2007.

We are going on vacation only, but all the information that I could find online was very confusing and contradictory. I'm planning to leave on January 23, 2014.

Could you please help me?




Hi Angie,

Thanks for your question. Whether vacationing with a pet or moving permanently, you still need to fully meet the import requirements for the country in question. Take a look at the pet import requirements for Peru and for the United States for an overview of what to expect.

Basically you'll need to have your dog microchipped if she's not already, full vaccines need to be administered, and you need to secure an international health certificate. The relevant forms need to be endorsed by the USDA, as well. When you come back to the United States you'll once again need to present a health certificate issued within 10 days of departure stating your dog is fit to fly.

Hopefully this helps you to get started. Please contact us for a quote if you'd like further assistance, and have a great vacation!



PetRelocation Team




United States
Back to top