Moving to Norway with Pets

Organizing pet transport to Norway requires plenty of preparation in advance of travel. To start, pet owners will need to ensure each pet has a microchip implanted for identification as well as proper vaccinations and proof of those vaccinations.

Each dog will also need to receive a tapeworm treatment from a vet within five days of departure as well as an EU health certificate. Bringing a dog to Norway also requires an international health certificate, which must be obtained within 10 days of travel. Be sure to get USDA endorsements for the microchip implantation record, rabies certificate and EU health certificate.

For more information about the requirements for bringing pets to Norway, take a look at the information below. You can also look to your PetRelocation Specialists for expert guidance through the pet transport process.

Relocation Info According to Species

Regulations for Importing Pets to Norway

Attention: This information is to be used as general guidelines and may not be updated to meet the current requirements. Before you travel, be sure to contact the appropriate authorities for your destination country.


Each pet shall be identified by means of a microchip. No other form of identification is acceptable. The microchip used should comply with ISO Standard 11784 or Annex A to ISO standard 11785. The microchip must be implanted before the rabies vaccine is administered.

Rabies Vaccination and Certificate

All pets must have an original Rabies Certificate and this certificate must state the microchip number, the date of inoculation and the validity of the particular vaccination you obtain. This vaccine must be an inactivated vaccine and must be at least 21 days old at the time of departure.

Further details regarding the rabies vaccine:

  • Pets may travel to Norway with a current one year vaccine (also known as a “primary” vaccine).
  • Pets may travel to Norway with a 3 year vaccine that was administered less than a year ago (otherwise it may be considered a booster).

If you have questions about this, please ask your PetRelocation Specialist about possible exceptions.

Commercial EU Vet Health Certificate

This is the standard Health Certificate to be filled out by your accredited veterinarian and must be signed in a different color than that of the certificate's printing. This certificate is valid for 10 days from the date of issue by the official veterinarian until the date of the checks at the EU point of entry.

For the purpose of further movements within the EU, this certificate will be valid for a total of four months from the date of issue or until the date of expiration of the rabies vaccination, whichever date is earlier.

Tapeworm Treatment

Must be administered 1-5 days prior to arrival in your final destination (you will need to bring your pet back to your veterinarian so they can administer the required tapeworm treatment).

The tapeworm treatment MUST contain the ingredient praziquantel and be administered in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions.

The date and time of the tapeworm treatment must be recorded on the EU Vet Certificate.

Clinical Examination

Your veterinarian must perform a clinical examination of your pet at latest 24 hours before shipping, finding that the pet is healthy and fit to fly to the final destination.

It is important to note that the USDA currently requires both the tapeworm treatment to be administered and the clinical examination recorded before they will issue their endorsement on the EU Vet Health Certificate.

USDA Endorsements

The following documents must be sent to your local USDA for their stamp of approval. Please contact your PetRelocation Specialist for more information about how to manage this.

  • Microchip Implantation Record
  • Rabies Certificate
  • EU Vet Health Certificate

Airline Health Certificate

Within 10 days of departure your vet will need to issue an International Health Certificate as required by all airlines. This certificate states that your pet is in good health and fit to fly.

The EU Five Day Rule

Pet owners must fly within five days of their pet in order for the move to be considered “non-commercial.” If you are unable to meet this Five Day Rule, the move can still be carried out but it will be considered a commercial move, which increases costs and changes the EU import requirements and timeline.

Please check with your PetRelocation Specialist if you have questions about the EU Five Day Rule and how to best manage your pet’s relocation.

Additional Details

All original documentation listed above must travel with the pets.

In order for us to successfully clear customs we will need the following documents supplied prior to the pet’s arrival:

  • Copy of pet owner's passport
  • A signed letter of transfer from your company on letterhead
  • A copy of your plane/e-ticket/boarding pass showing your arrival within five days of your pet
  • If this is a military move: move orders, APO address, rank and office

Pet Travel Stories

“With everything else I had to organize and plan, it was a huge relief for me that I found PetRelocation. I am not sure what I would have done otherwise.”

— Nicole

Relocating Large Families: 12 Cats and 2 Dogs Move to Austria

Back to top