Buying a Reinforced Travel Crate for Pet Air Travel

Hi PetRelocation,
I need to fly my dog to Maine but I can't afford to spend $600 or more on the "IATA #82" reinforced crate plus the flight cost. Is there a place I can rent the crate for this one way flight?

I bought a plastic flight crate and have been told by United airlines that I need a reinforced pet crate for the flight. I do not have the funds to buy the crate and the flight ticket. I need some suggestions.
He is not an aggressive dog.
Hi Crystal,
Thank you for your question, we're sorry to hear about your troubles. Before we talk about crate options, we'd suggest double checking the regulations to make sure you actually need a reinforced crate meeting IATA container requirement #82.
According to United's website, a reinforced crate is needed for Pit Bull Terriers and other breeds sometimes classified as "aggressive" or who have strong jaws. You have mentioned that your dog is a Bull Terrier/Pointer mix, so unless he strongly resembles a Pit Bull or one of the other dogs on the list, you may be able to use a regular crate.
If not, unfortunately we don't know of any businesses that rent pet travel crates, however it may be possible to find a used one by searching eBay or Craigslist, etc. Here are some additional ideas for how to control the costs of a pet move.
Hopefully this is at least a little bit helpful! We know pet travel can be pretty stressful and would be happy to chat if you need some additional assistance (feel free to give our office a call at 1-877-PET-MOVE or fill out our online consultation form if so).
If any of our readers have ideas for Crystal, feel free to share them in the comments!
Pet Travel Question Details:
Name: Crystal
From: Los Angeles CA
To: Portland, ME
Pet: Chase; Dog Bull Terrier/Pointer mix; 1 yr; 60 lbs


PetRelocation Team


Air Travel, Airlines, Ask the Experts




United States


Add a Comment

By Renee on April 26, 2017 at 10:35 am

Hi Im facing the same issue but we're moving out of the country from NH. Crystal, did you already purchase one? I don't live far from Portland and would be more than happy to purchase from you...We are leaving by 5/14/17...

By Lizvette on May 10, 2017 at 9:05 am

Any luck with finding one? I am on the same mission. We are moving from Miami to Oregon and I can not afford one of those crates.

By Liz on November 26, 2017 at 12:26 pm

Renee, did you end up buying the crate ? I would be happy to buy it from you or at least rent

By george on May 7, 2017 at 8:16 pm

Did you considered driving instead of flying. That is cheaper and not need to use a crate. I am about to move to Spain and I have a terrier mix so i am facing the same problem. Do you guys know if IATA requirements apply to every airline flying or just US airlines or flying in the US. Because I called Iberia and they did not specified any of these special reinforced crates requirement.

By on May 8, 2017 at 8:44 am

Hi George, you're right to check with the airline you're flying with. Most airlines operate with similar rules regarding travel crates, but it's worth double checking whether or not you'll need a reinforced crate for your terrier mix. Good luck with your trip and just let us know if we can assist!

By Cathy on August 28, 2017 at 2:48 pm

I am taking my dog from the US to Panama, he is a pit bull .... and looks like one, I can't get him reclassified as any other kind of dog. BUT he is the sweetest, most non-aggressive pit ever, "he's a kisser, not a biter, he's a lover, not a fighter."COPA Airlines out of Dulles, 1/2 hr away, will not even allow him to fly in cargo. United is the only airline offering a direct flight to Panama, but now I have to drive to NJ 4 hrs away for the flight. The IATA CR82 crate alone will cost me nearly $900. This is ridiculous. Dogs should be judged individually! End BSL everywhere.

By Hannah on September 18, 2017 at 12:23 pm

Hi Cathy, are you still looking for a pet crate? I am selling a plywood Iata 82 crate for $250. I had it made for my dog. I have it in NY, but I can bring it down to DC as soon as Oct 1st. If you are 30mins from Dulles, you must be located someplace close to DC, right?

By Telishia on September 29, 2017 at 12:30 am

Hi I was wondering if the crate is still available looking for one before October 8th that's when my dogs health certificate for the airlines expires im located in CT thanks

By Sunshine Hannigan on November 2, 2017 at 1:27 pm

Hi Hannah, Is your crate still available? I am in Syracuse and am in desperate need of a crate to get a rescue out of boarding in CA to me for training.Please let me know ASAP!Thank you!! -Sunshine

By Aurora on November 15, 2017 at 9:54 pm

Hi Hannah, Did you ever sell your crate?Thanks! Aurora

By Sheena on December 9, 2017 at 12:38 pm

Hey! I live in NY and I'm flying to Hawaii. I was incredibly interested in your crate for my pit baby! If you still have it please please save me:)

By Hannah on September 18, 2017 at 12:18 pm

I am selling a plywood Iata 82 approved crate in NY for $250. I used it once for my 60lbs staffy to ship her from Europe to NY.

By james on September 19, 2017 at 10:59 pm

What size is the crate you are selling?

By Micah on October 6, 2017 at 9:42 pm

Hi - is this still available? Thanks Micah

Add a Comment

Name is required

Email is required and must be in the format

Comment is required

Back to top