If you plan to travel with your pets, Lufthansa Airlines allows pets either in the cabin or in the cargo hold of its passenger aircrafts, depending on the pet's weight and size.
Your pet can also travel unaccompanied via Lufthansa Cargo. Here's how to book a pet flight on Lufthansa.
1) First you will need to determine whether your species of pet can travel in cabin. Lufthansa only allows dogs and cats in the passenger cabin of their aircraft. If you have a dog or cat, go to step 2. If you have another species of pet, go to step 4.
2) You may take a dog or cat into the cabin if the weight of the animal (including transport container) does not exceed eight kilograms. If your pet and their carrier exceed these weight limits, go to step 4.
Travel Carrier for In-Cabin Pets: Your pet will need to be kept in an appropriate travel carrier measuring not more than 55 x 40 x 23 cm. You may use your own carrier if it has the necessary measurement and is watertight and bite-proof. Pets must remain inside the travel container throughout the entire flight.
3) Call to Book Your Flight: To make reservations by phone, please contact your country's Lufthansa Reservations Office.
When you call to book your flight, you will need to notify the person making the reservation that you will be traveling with a pet in cabin. While you can book your flight up until the last minute, Lufthansa requires 24 hours advance notice of pets traveling in cabin. "Several countries only allow specific types of pets," says Martin Riecken, Head of Corporate Communications for Lufthansa. "Passengers will be informed about this during the reservation process."
4) If your pet cannot travel in cabin due to size or weight restrictions, or if you have a pet other than a dog or a cat, your pet can travel underneath the plane in the temperature-controlled and pressurized cargo hold.
Travel Crates for Pets as Cargo: Your pet's travel crate will need to meet IATA (International Air Transport Association) standards. Lufthansa also requires pet travel crates to be equipped with a water dish. We recommend attaching your pet's water dish to the inside of the crate door (learn more about measuring your pet and choosing the right pet travel crate).
5) Call to Book Your Flight: To make reservations by phone, please contact your country's Lufthansa Reservations Office.
When you call to book your flight, you will need to notify the person making the reservation that you will be traveling with a pet in the cargo hold. While you can book your flight up until the last minute, Lufthansa requires 24 hours advance notice of pets accompanying their owners and traveling in the cargo hold.
Lufthansa German Airlines Pricing Structure for Accompanied Pets
As for pricing, the fare for pets is calculated based on the size concept listed below. For more information take a look at Lufthansa's website.
There is also the option of unaccompanied animals being carried by Lufthansa Cargo, which is primarily how PetRelocation books pets on Lufthansa for international flights. A cargo account is required and pricing is based off a dimensional or volume weight.
If your pet will be traveling unaccompanied, it is best to set up a pet transport consultation with us. We'd be happy to assist!
Editor's Note: This post was originally published in May 2010 and has been updated with new information.