Moving Pets to Canada: Does Canada Require Quarantine?

Hi PetRelocation,

We are considering a job in Vancouver, but if the animals have to be held in quarantine, we won't even consider it.

Can you tell us whether our animals (all up to date on health records and shots) would have to be held in quarantine in a move from Boulder to Vancouver? (We would drive them out, probably in an R.V.)


Hi Fernanda,

Thanks for contacting us with your question! Good news: If you take a look at the Pet Import Requirements to Canada, you'll see that there's no reason to prepare for a quarantine when moving pets to Canada.

Primarily you'll just need to focus on having proof of up-to-date rabies vaccines and all the additional necessary paperwork. Crossing the border with pets can be an experience that varies from one person to the next based on different factors, but we recommend being properly prepared just in case the border agent you encounter follows all the rules exactly. 

Please feel free to give us a call if you'd like to ask one of our Pet Relocation Specialists about anything further, and take a look at our North America pet travel guide for more tips and information about traveling with your pets. 

Good luck, Fernanda!


Pet Travel Question Details:

Name: Fernanda
Number of Pets: 3 dogs, 2 cats
Pet Breed: Anatolian, Corgi, Border Collie, American Bobtails
From: Boulder, Colorado
To: Vancouver, Canada

Editor's Note: This post was originally published in November 2010 and has been updated with new information.


PetRelocation Team




Back to top