Moving with Pets to Hong Kong! Quarantine & Import Pemits - It seems that Hong Kong is becoming our number one destination for the month, with so many families pet moving or planning to relocate to Hong Kong - we thought it would be best to let our readers know the answers to the two top questions asked:

Is there Quarantine and Do I need an Import Permit?

Quarantine for pets varies from 0-6 months subject to their history and vaccination records. You may bring your cat, dog or bird into Hong Kong with a minimum amount of fuss, if you are coming from a Category I or Category II country (please see below). Animals from a Category III country must go through quarantine at the owner's expense.

For importing your pets to Hong Kong, you need to obtain in advance a special import permit from the Agriculture, Fisheries and Conservation Department. It usually takes 5 working days to process the import application from the date of receipt of permit fee to the date of issue, subject to provision of all required information.

Overseas applicants may nominate a person or agent in Hong Kong to apply for the permit on their behalf to minimize inconvenience and to expedite urgent applications.

If you are applying for the import permit yourself, the application can be done either by person or my mail at:

Permit issuing Desk (Counter No. 10) , 5th Floor, Agriculture, Fisheries and Conservation Department, Cheung Sha Wan Government Offices, 303 Cheung Sha Wan Road , Kowloon , Hong Kong

Office hours: Monday to Friday: 9 a.m. - 12:30 noon, 1:30 p.m. - 4:15 p.m.; Saturday: 9 a.m. - 11:45 a.m. (Closed on Sundays and Public Holidays.)

A prescribed application form AF240 is available for download at the Hong Kong Agriculture, Fisheries and Conservation Department website. Facsimile copies are also obtainable from their great interactive telephone number (852) 2708 8885.

All fees must be paid at the time of the application. Crossed local checks or e-payment are acceptable for local applications only. We strongly recommend using a company, friend or service to help you with this process.

For overseas applications, the fees should be paid by a bank draft in Hong Kong currency payable to ” The Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region “. The bank draft must be drawn upon a licensed bank in Hong Kong.

Permits will be delivered by ordinary mail (local) or airmail (overseas) to the address as indicated in the application form. Please remember that you need to enclose a self-addressed envelope together with the application. To avoid postal delay, you may choose to pick up the permit at the licensing office in person or by an appointed agent. The permit cannot be dispatched by fax.

Your permit is valid for 6 months and for one consignment only. Animals must be imported on or before the expiry date of the permit.

Import Requirements: Group I Countries

Dogs and cats imported direct from U.K., Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji and Hawaii are normally exempted from quarantine, subject to full compliance with the permit conditions.

Group II Countries

Dogs and cats imported from the following 40 countries or areas may be exempted from quarantine provided the animals comply fully with the permit conditions. As the rabies status or other factors may change in these countries, the list is subject to ongoing review.

Cayman Island
New Caledonia
Papua New Guinea
Solomon Islands
South Africa
The Netherlands
USA (Continental)
Virgin Islands

Group III Countries

Dogs and cats imported from countries other than Group I and II are subject to a minimum 4-month quarantine period.

Disability Assistance Dog (DAD)

The Agriculture, Fisheries and Conservation Department (AFCD) has introduced a new policy for the importation of DADs. This policy exempts DADs from quarantine and the requirement of 6-month residency in the exporting country on the basis of one blood test for Rabies antibody. Such policy is applicable to DADs imported from all countries.

For more information, full explanations &details are available on the Hong Kong Agriculture and Fisheries Department website.


PetRelocation Team




Hong Kong


Add a Comment

By lap tran on August 7, 2010 at 8:16 pm

i go travel with my dog to vietnam but i have to stop in hong kong for transit in 3 hr and i need to apply for permit for my dog transit at hk airport . i dont know you guy i help me application permit transit ,becuse my fly on date 08/18/10 its any way application faster way to help apply it . thanks

Add a Comment

Name is required

Email is required and must be in the format

Comment is required

Back to top