Pet Travel Question: Driving Pets Across Borders

Name: Ken
Number of Pets: 1
Pet Type: Dog
Pet Breed: Mixed
From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
To: Maryland

I'm taking my 5-year-old dog for a week vacation through New York state to Maryland. What certificates of vaccination such as Rabies etc... will we need?




Hi Ken,

Thanks for your question. For this trip you'll want to take a look at the pet import requirements for the United States (which actually aren't particularly strict) as well as the pet import requirements for Canada, since you'll be returning there. You will need proof of an updated rabies vaccine and an International Health Certificate issued by your vet.

Here is more information from our blog about how to cross the Canada/US border with a pet, including general car travel tips. Please contact us if you have any more questions, and have a safe journey.!



PetRelocation Team




United States, Canada
Back to top