Pet Travel Question: Getting a Head Start on Pet Travel to the United States

Name: Scarlett
Number of Pets: 1
Pet Type: Dog
Pet Breed: Poodle
From: Hong Kong
To: San Francisco, US

I have to move myself and my poodle, Teddy, back to San Francisco in six months. What should I do now to prepare?


Hi Scarlett,

First of all, congrats for being a smart traveler! It's always wise to start planning early for a pet move.

Take a look at the pet import requirements for the United States. They are actually pretty straightforward compared to many other countries, but you'll still need to follow them carefully. Most importantly, your dog will need  a rabies vaccine at least 30 days before departure and an International Health Certificate issued within 10 days of departure.

Other than that, just be sure you have an airline-approved travel crate, and when you look at airline options, choose a pet-friendly carrier with established pet policies (we often use United, KLM and Lufthansa, for example).

Hopefully this helps, Scarlett. Be sure to contact us if you have more questions or if you'd like a free quote for our services, and good luck with everything.


PetRelocation Team




United States, Hong Kong
Back to top