Pet Travel Question: What is the EU 998?

Hi PetRelocation,

My vet tells me that all I need to get my dog into Germany is the International Health Certificate, European Microchip, and proof of vaccinations. However I'm reading on the internet that I also need the EU Form 998, which my vet says they know nothing about. Do I really need this 998 form??? Please help!


Hi Todd,

Thanks for contacting us with your question! Long story short: the EU 998 is no longer needed for pet travel to Europe.

Here are the Pet Import Requirements for Germany -- though the EU 998 Form used to be required for pet transport to Europe, this is no longer the case. As you'll see when you click through, you do need an International Health Certificate, an EU Health Certificate, and several other documents. 

Take a look at our guide to Pet Travel to the European Union for more information about what you need for your dog, how long it takes to arrange such a move, and what to expect in terms of the flight, routing, etc. Hopefully this helps to alleviate some of the stress you're most certainly feeling right about now!

Please feel free to contact one of our Pet Relocation Consultants if you have any more questions, and connect with our Facebook community for more tips from all the other pet travelers out there.

Good luck, Todd!


Pet Travel Question Details:

Name: Todd
Number of Pets: 1
Pet Type: Dog
Pet Breed: Lab
From: Chicago, IL, United States
To: Frankfurt, Germany


Editor's Note: This post was originally published in January 2011 and has been updated with new information.


PetRelocation Team


Air Travel, Ask the Experts


Cats, Dogs


Back to top