Relocating Pets From The US to Canada: How to Drive Across The Border With a Pet

Canada flagCrossing the US Canada Border with Pets

There's more to it than just packing the car and hitting the road. Lots of people travel with pets, and lately we've received several questions about a particular pet travel issue --  how to cross the Canada/US border by car. We've offered advice to a few travelers and thought we'd share the facts as we know them.

Here's what you need to have and to know to cross the Canada border with a pet:

-An original Rabies vaccine certificate.

-An International Health Certificate obtained within 10 days of departure.

-Travelers will need to call their local USDA to see about getting the health certificate endorsed. Note that USDA offices in different places may have different preferences; here in Austin they recommend having the International Health Certificate endorsed, for example, but in other places they may not follow the same procedure.

-Be aware that every border experience can be a little different. It's frustrating but true that some agents may be strict and some may let you cross with very few questions, so it's best to be well-prepared just in case.

-Finally, follow the standard tips for transporting pets by car to make sure the trip goes smoothly all around. This means packing extra supplies, bringing plenty of water, and keeping your pet securely buckled up so as not to be a distraction to the driver.


Contact PetRelocation with any more questions about driving pets to Canada. We're happy to help!


Editor's Note: This post was originally published in May 2012 and has been updated with new information. Photo by meddygarnet via Flickr



PetRelocation Team




Back to top