Bringing Pets To: Greece



Bringing Pets To: Greece - Requirements and Best Practices

Are you considering a move to Greece with your pets? Transporting your pet to this beautiful Mediterranean country involves following specific import regulations to ensure a seamless and stress-free relocation. In this updated guide, we'll outline everything you need to know before bringing your dogs and cats to Greece.

Need Our Support?

Let's Get Moving

What to Know Before Transporting Dogs and Cats to Greece

Greece Import Requirements and Timeline

A checklist with checkmarks on it

Microchip and Vaccinations

Time frame: we recommend starting at least 30 days ahead

If transporting your pets to Greece, it's important to note that all pets must be microchipped and vaccinated before entry.

Please read below to ensure import compliance with the specific details and requirements.

How to start the process of transporting your pet to Greece

Microchip and Vaccinations: Key Requirements for Pet Import

  • Time frame: we recommend starting at least 30 days ahead
  • All pets being transported to Greece must be microchipped and vaccinated before entry.
  • The microchip should comply with ISO Standard 11784 or Annex A to ISO standard 11785.
  • Greece currently accepts AVID-9 and AVID-10 in addition to ISO.
  • The microchip must be implanted before the rabies vaccine is administered.
  • Pets must have an original Rabies Certificate signed by the vet, indicating that the Rabies vaccine is at least 21 days old.
  • Pets may be transported with a current one-year ("primary") vaccine or a 3-year vaccine administered less than a year ago.

Other recommended vaccines:

  • For dogs: DHLPP (Distemper, Hepatitis, Leptospirosis, Parainfluenza, Parvovirus) and Bordetella.
  • For cats: FVRCP (Feline Viral Rhinotracheitis, Calicivirus, Panleukopenia).

Cat looking into the camera

Import Documentation

Time frame: Within 10 days prior to departure (non-commercial)

As part of our services, we provide detailed templates for your veterinarian to ensure all forms are completed properly.

Additionally, our team is available to answer any questions you or your veterinarian may have throughout the process.

Proper paperwork prevents hangups at customs

Import Documentation: Ensuring Proper Paperwork for Pet Entry

Time frame: Within 10 days before departure (non-commercial)

As part of our services, we provide detailed templates to ensure your veterinarian completes all forms properly. The required documents include the EU Health Certificate, USDA Endorsements for the Microchip Implantation Record, Rabies Certificate, EU Vet Health Certificate, and Airline Health Certificate.

Additional requirements and stricter timelines may apply for commercial moves, including the EU 5-Day Rule, which requires non-commercial transport of pets to occur within five days of their owner.

It's important to note that these forms should be readily available from your vet, but it's recommended to call ahead and confirm availability.

  • Remember that your vet must complete the EU Health Certificate within ten days of departure.
  • However, please note that this timeframe changes within the context of a commercial move, where additional requirements may apply.
  • Read below for more information on the 5-day rule and commercial move requirements.

Rabies Antibody Test: Additional Considerations

For pets from "unlisted countries," a rabies antibody test (titer test) is required, performed by an accredited veterinarian, and sent to an EU-approved laboratory. A 90-day waiting period is required after the blood draw (assuming a passing result).

Important information to keep your move on track

Time frame: Within 10 days prior to departure (non-commercial)

Before you bring your dog or cat to Germany, make sure you know the regulations unique to the EU!

The 5 Day Rule (And More)

EU 5-Day Rule

If your dog or cat is being transported “non-commercially,” they must fly within five days of their owner. If you cannot meet this 5-Day Rule, the move can still be carried out, but it will be considered a commercial move, which increases costs and changes the EU import requirements and timeline. In such cases, you will need to meet stricter import requirements. 

Travel Stories and Tips

Back to top