Booking your pet's flight correctly is one of the most important parts of your trip. After all, how else will your pet be able to join you in your new home?
If you're currently considering all of your options, take a look at this step-by-step guide to booking a flight on KLM Airlines for your pet.
If you are traveling with your pet to Australia, Hong Kong, Ireland, the United Arab Emirates, Kenya, South Africa or the United Kingdom, please skip this section and proceed to Unaccompanied Pets.
1) First you will need to determine whether your species of pet can travel in cabin. KLM only allows small cats and dogs up to 6 kg (13 lbs) including their carrier in the cabin. If you have a dog or cat who weighs under 6 kg (13 lbs) with his carrier, go to step 2. If you have another species of pet, go to step 6.
2) Your pet will need to travel in a hard-shelled kennel no higher than 20 cm or in an animal travel bag (soft-sided) that expands to a maximum of 115 cm (L+W+H). Your pet will need to be able to stand up comfortably in the carrier while traveling. If your pet cannot fit comfortably in a carrier or kennel of this size, go to step 4.
3) Call to Book Your Flight: To make reservations by phone, please contact your country's KLM Telephone Reservations Line.
When you call to book your flight, you will need to notify the person making the reservation that you will be traveling with a pet in cabin. While you can book your flight up until the last minute, KLM requires at least 48 hours advance notice for pets traveling in cabin. Your pet will also need to fulfill the international pet travel requirements for your destination country (if traveling internationally).
4) If your dog or cat cannot travel in cabin due to size or weight restrictions, your pet can travel underneath the plane in the air-conditioned cargo hold as "Accompanied luggage." Your pet must be transported in a hard-shelled pet travel crate approved for pets as cargo (see below). Your pet and kennel combined may not weigh more than 75 kg (165 lbs). If your pet weighs under 75 kg with his carrier, proceed to step 5. If your pet weighs more than 75 kg with his carrier, proceed to step 6.
Travel Crates for Pets as Cargo: Your pet's travel crate will need to be up to IATA (International Air Transport Association) standards. We sell IATA-approved pet travel crates through our website, which are suitable for domestic and international travel. Lufthansa also requires pet travel crates to be equipped with a water dish. We recommend attaching your pet's water dish to the inside of the crate door (see: All About Pet Travel Crates).
5) Call to Book Your Flight: To make reservations by phone, please contact your country's KLM Telephone Reservations Line.
When you call to book your flight, you will need to notify the person making the reservation that you will be traveling with a pet in the cargo hold as accompanied luggage. While you can book your flight up until the last minute, KLM requires 48 hours advance notice of pets accompanying their owners and traveling in the cargo hold.
Unaccompanied Pets (or Pets Traveling as Cargo)
6) Your pet should be transported as freight by Air France-KLM Cargo if:
- Your pet and kennel weigh more than 75 kg (165 lbs).
- The kennel is larger than 292 cm (115 inches) (l + w + h). On some types of aircraft, the kennel must not be larger than 247 cm (97 inches) (l + w + h).
- The pet is travelling to Australia, Hong Kong, Ireland, the United Arab Emirates, Kenya, South Africa or the United Kingdom.
For your pet to travel unaccompanied via Air France-KLM Cargo, a cargo account is required and pricing is based off a dimensional or volume weight. If your pet is going to be traveling unaccompanied, it is best to obtain a quote from a PetRelocation.com Specialist by filling out our online consultation form.
Air France-KLM Pricing Structure for Pets
Accompanied: For pets traveling within Europe on most AF-KL flights, the pricing per pet is EUR 70. For all other international flights, the price per pet is EUR 200.
Unaccompanied/Cargo: The pricing is based on dimensional weight and varies per pet. Fuel surcharges and other fees also apply.