Moving a Pet Ferret to Sweden!

Name: Samara

Subject: Pet moving with Ferret to Sweden from US

Question: I am moving to Sweden next Sept. I want to take my four year old ferret, Molly. How would I go about getting ready for this? What is the process of pet transport?

I am from America, so I am not in the EU, which would of course be much easier.

Answer: Hello Samara!

Here are the rules and requirements for importing your ferret into Sweden (they are the same for dogs, cats, and ferrets):

In order:

1) Microchip- Should comply with ISO Standard 11784 or Annex A to ISO Standard 11785, otherwise your ferret will need to be sent with it's own scanner attached to the top of the crate. The microchip implantation must be done before the rabies vaccination, make sure the vet scans the chip prior to implant to prove it works.

2) Rabies Vaccination & Certificate- Must have an original Rabies Certificate which must state the microchip number, the date of inoculation, and the validity of the particular vaccination you obtain- some are good for two years, others are only good for one. This vaccine must be an inactivated vaccine.

3. Rabies Titer / FAVN-OIE Tests:  FAVN or Fluorescent Antibody Viral Neutralization (FAVN) Blood Test is to ensure that the rabies vaccinations have provided adequate rabies antibody levels and will need to be approved by an approved Government Facility  prior to export (i.e. the USDA). 

To obtain a Rabies Titer/FAVN test:

Your vet will need to send a serum sample, accompanied by a completed FAVN Report Form, to the Kansas State University lab* to do the FAVN test. The Kansas State Lab will then send the FAVN Report Form with the results of the test back to the submitting clinic.

Rabies Laboratory

Kansas State University

2005 Research Park Circle

Manhattan, KS 66502

tel. 785-532-4483

fax 785-532-4474

If the FAVN test is approved:

The results of the blood test must be 0.5 IU/ml or above in order to qualify for entry.

*Please call KSU prior to sending the blood to make sure they are aware of the delivery and the destination location.  We also suggest, prior to shipping the blood, that you ask how they want the blood container labeled and how they want it sent to them.  These labs do change their policy often, so its best to double check with them.

4) Echinococcus Treatment- Must have a tapeworm (echinococcus) treatment no more than 10 days before arrival into Sweden. This treatment shall be repeated within 7 days after arriving. Both treatments, including the name and dosage, shall be certified in the Certificate listed in step #5. The treatment used MUST contain the ingredient- praziquantel- and be administered in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions.

5) EU Vet Health Certificate (Form EC#:998)- This is the standard Health Certificate to be filled out by your accredited Veterinarian. If your pet is going to be traveling as 'unaccompanied cargo' you will need the commercial variant, which needs to be issued and USDA endorsed within 24 hours of departure. This means that the tapeworm treatment (step #4) and International Health Certificate (step #7) must also be done within that 24 hour time period.

6) USDA Endorsement- The above referenced forms:

- Microchip Implantation Record

- Rabies Certificate

- Rabies Titer Test Results

- EU Vet Health Certificate

Must be sent to your local USDA for their stamp of approval.

7) International Health Certificate: Within 10 days of departure your vet will need to issue an International Health Certificate (Form 7001) as required by all airlines. This certificate states that your ferret is in good health and is OK to fly.

Additional Notes:

In the case of animals originating in a qualifying country other than an EU Member State the "pet passport" is in the form of a "Veterinary Certificate", must consist of a single sheet, be printed in the language of Member State (in this case, Swedish) of entry and in English, and be completed in the language of the Member State or English.

North American vets need to write the dates in this format: dd/mm/yyyy.

Hope this helps, and for more information please check out the Sweden Rules & Regulations on our website.

This is something we could definitely help you out with! To speak to our Sweden Specialist, please feel free to call toll free 1-877-PET-MOVE and ask for Matt Johnson if you have any more questions or would like a price quote.

Good luck with the move!


PetRelocation Team




Back to top