What to Know About Importing Dogs and Cats to South Korea

All pet relocation planning begins with the initial step of ensuring your pet’s vaccine records align with your destination country’s import requirements. When coming from many countries, including the United States, in addition to up-to-date vaccines pet transport to South Korea also requires a rabies antibody titer test.

The titer test is a simple blood draw performed by a USDA accredited vet (if in the US), and then the blood is sent off to an accredited laboratory for testing. The results measure the level of rabies antibodies built up in your pet’s immune system.

Another great starting point for bringing pets to South Korea is kennel acclimation. The goal is for your pet to view their kennel as their safe place during transit, and spending time in this space should be a normal part of their daily routine.

Please see below for a further look at relocating your pet to South Korea. Have questions? Your PetRelocation Specialists will guide you and your vet through the relocation process as outlined.

Request Support

Regulations for Importing Pets to South Korea

Attention: This information is to be used as general guidelines and may not be updated to meet the current requirements. Before you travel, be sure to contact the appropriate authorities for your destination country.


Each pet shall be identified by means of a microchip. No other form of identification is acceptable. The microchip used should comply with ISO Standard 11784 or Annex A to ISO standard 11785.

Rabies Vaccination and Certificate

All pets must have an original Rabies Certificate and this certificate must state the microchip number, the date of inoculation and the validity of the particular vaccination you obtain. The Primary Rabies Vaccine must be at least 30 days old at the time of export.

Administer Rabies Vaccine (can be a 1, 2, or 3 year vaccine).

Record the Manufacturer's Name, Product Name, Batch Number and Vaccine Expiration Date on the Rabies Certificate.

Original Signature in blue ink from the veterinarian must be included on the Rabies Certificate.

Obtain a printed copy of the Vaccination Certificate for each pet (must include all required vaccinations mentioned above) including vaccine inoculation date and validity period (include a vet’s original, blue signature).

Rabies Antibody Titer Test

Titer test can be done 30 or more days after rabies vaccine is administered. It typically takes 4-6 weeks to receive the results, and the pet can travel to South Korea as soon as a favorable result is received. 

Health Certificate (APHIS 7001)

Obtain an International Health Certificate (Veterinary Health Certificate for Export of Dogs and Cats from the United States of America to Korea). A copy of this certificate may be found on the USDA APHIS website and will need to be filled out by a USDA accredited veterinarian. This is an international health certificate that needs to be completed by your vet within 10 days of departure.

Additional Vaccines

The following vaccines are recommended but not required.

Dogs: Canine Distemper, Parovirus and Hepatitis (Combo Vaccine is commonly known as DHPP); Bordetella .

Cats: Feline Cat Flu-Feline Calcivirus; Feline Viral Rhinotracheitis; Feline Enteritis- Feline Panleukopaenia/Feline Parvovirus (the combination vaccine that includes all four of these is commonly known as FVRCP).

Vet Visit Within 10 Days of Departure

This visit should be scheduled no more than 10 days prior to the departure date. In addition, we ask that you schedule the appointment during our normal business hours so that we can be of assistance and review the paperwork before you leave.

FedEx Health Documents to USDA

The above referenced forms need to be sent to your local USDA office for their stamp of approval. Your PetRelocation Specialist will provide you with a prepaid, overnight FedEx envelope addressed to your local USDA office. Once you obtain the above documents from your vet, simply place them into the prepaid envelope and drop it off at your local FedEx drop off location.

Once the USDA endorses the documents, they will overnight them back to our driver with the enclosed prepaid return label (also provided by PetRelocation). Upon return, we will give you confirmation that everything is in order. The endorsed documents will travel with our driver when he/she arrives to pick up your pets and check them in at the airport.

Pet Travel Stories

“Move day couldn't have gone smoother!”

— Christopher

Moving Cats to South Korea: Aya and Shiori’s Adventure!

Back to top