Bringing Pets To: Spain



Transporting your pet to Spain? Our team of experts at PetRelocation is dedicated to ensuring a smooth and stress-free experience. Here's what you need to know to successfully transport your dogs and cats to Spain.

Need Our Support?

Let's Get Moving

What to Know Before Transporting Dogs and Cats to Spain

Spain Import Requirements and Timeline

Puma: US to Spain

Microchip and Vaccinations

Time frame: we recommend starting at least 30 days ahead

If transporting your pets to Spain, it's important to note that all pets must be microchipped and vaccinated before entry.

Please read below to ensure import compliance with the specific details and requirements.

How to start the process of transporting your pet to Spain

Microchip and Vaccinations

Time frame: Start at least 30 days ahead

  • All pets must have an implanted microchip that complies with ISO Standard 11784 or Annex A to ISO standard 11785. Spain accepts AVID-9 and AVID-10 in addition to ISO.
  • Pets must have an original Rabies Certificate signed by the vet, with the Rabies vaccine being at least 21 days old at the time of the final health exam.
  • Other recommended vaccines for dogs include Distemper, Hepatitis, Leptospirosis, Parainfluenza, Parvovirus (DHLPP), and Bordetella.
  • For cats, recommended vaccines include Feline Viral Rhinotracheitis, Calicivirus, and Panleukopenia (FVRCP).
  • Vaccines should be valid at the time of import and administered no less than two weeks before the export date for maximum effectiveness.

Kiwi: US to Spain

Import Documentation

Time frame: Within 10 days prior to departure (non-commercial)

As part of our services, we provide detailed templates for your veterinarian to ensure all forms are completed properly.

Additionally, our team is available to answer any questions you or your veterinarian may have throughout the process.

Proper paperwork prevents hangups at customs

Time frame: Within 10 days before departure (non-commercial)

EU Health Certificate

  • Obtain an EU Health Certificate, which your accredited veterinarian must fill out and sign in a different color ink than the certificate's printing.
  • The certificate is valid for ten days from the date of issue until the date of the checks at the EU point of entry.

USDA Endorsements

To ensure compliance with the USDA regulations, the following forms below must be sent to your local USDA for approval. 

  • Microchip Implantation Record
  • Rabies Certificate
  • EU Vet Health Certificate
  • Airline Health Certificate

It's important to note that these forms should be readily available from your vet, but it's recommended to call ahead and confirm availability.

  • Remember that your vet must complete the EU Health Certificate within ten days of departure.
  • However, please note that this timeframe changes within the context of a commercial move, where additional requirements may apply.
  • Read below for more information on the 5-day rule and commercial move requirements.

Harvey and Chuy: US to Spain

The 5-Day Rule (and more)

Important information to keep your move on track.

Before transporting your dog or cat to Spain, make sure you know the regulations unique to the EU!

What to know about about commerical moves and breed bans

EU 5-Day Rule

  • If your dog or cat is being transported "non-commercially," they must fly within five days of their owner.
  • If you cannot meet this 5-Day Rule, the move can still be carried out, but it will be considered a commercial move, which increases costs and changes the EU import requirements and timeline. In such cases, you will need to meet stricter import

Banned breeds in Spain

Not all dog breeds are allowed in this country. You may not be able to bring your pet if they are one of the following breeds (or a mix of one):

  • Pit Bull Terrier
  • American Staffordshire Terrier
  • Dogo Argentino
  • Staffordshire Bull Terrier
  • English Bull Terrier
  • Rottweiler
  • Akita Inu
  • Fila Brasileiro (Brazilian Mastiff)
  • Tosa Inu

Unlisted Countries and Additional Requirements

If you come from an "unlisted country," your pet will need a rabies antibody test, also known as a titer. In this case, you must follow the below steps:

  • Microchip and rabies vaccination (at least 30 days old before blood draw)
  • Rabies antibody test performed by an accredited veterinarian and sent to an EU-approved laboratory.
  • Before completing export paperwork, you must wait 90 days after the blood draw (assuming a passing result).

Find out if your origin country is listed here

Travel Stories and Tips

Back to top