Bringing Pets To: Netherlands



Moving to the Netherlands with a pet? You've come to the right place! Meet our experts and see how we can make this portion of your relocation as stress-free as possible so that you can focus on your human move.

Need Our Support?

View Pricing

What to Know Before Moving Dogs and Cats to the Netherlands

Netherlands Pet Import Requirements and Timeline

Max: US to the Netherlands

Microchip and Vaccinations

Time frame: we recommend starting at least 30 days ahead

All pets entering the Netherlands must be microchipped and vaccinated. Read more below for specific details and requirements. 

How to start the process of moving your pet to Netherlands

Each pet shall be identified by means of a microchip. No other form of identification is acceptable. The microchip used should comply with ISO Standard 11784 or Annex A to ISO standard 11785. The Netherlands currently accepts AVID 9 and AVID 10 in addition to ISO. The microchip must be implanted before the rabies vaccine is administered.

All pets must have an original Rabies Certificate signed by the vet. The Rabies vaccine must be at least 21 days old at the time of the final health exam.

Further details regarding the rabies vaccine:

  • Pets may travel to Netherlands with a current one year vaccine (also known as a “primary” vaccine).
  • Pets may travel to Netherlands with a 3 year vaccine that was administered less than a year ago (otherwise it may be considered a booster).

Other recommended vaccines include:

  • Dogs: Distemper, Hepatitis, Leptospirosis, Parainfluenza and Parvovirus (DHLPP) and Bordetella.
  • Cats: Feline Viral Rhinotracheitis, Calicivirus and Panleukopenia (FVRCP).

These should be valid at the time of import and administered no less than two weeks before export date for maximum effectiveness.

Maverick: US to the Netherlands

Import Documentation

Time frame: Within 10 days prior to departure (non-commercial)

At this stage, we provide detailed templates for your veterinarian and answer any questions regarding the proper completion of all forms.

Proper paperwork prevents hangups at customs

EU Health Certificate

This will be provided by your dedicated relocation coordinator. This is the standard Health Certificate to be filled out by your accredited veterinarian and must be signed in a different color than that of the certificate's printing (usually blue ink). This certificate is valid for 10 days from the date of issue by the official veterinarian until the date of the checks at the EU point of entry. For the purpose of further movements within the EU, 

USDA Endorsements

The forms below must be sent to your local USDA for their stamp of approval. Please contact your PetRelocation Specialist to learn more about best way of managing this.

  • Microchip Implantation Record
  • Rabies Certificate
  • EU Vet Health Certificate
  • Airline Health Certificate

Your vet should have these in stock. It’s a good idea to call ahead and ask. This is an international health certificate that needs to be completed by your vet within 10 days of departure.*

*The time frame for this changes within the context of a commercial move. Please read below for more information on the 5-day rule and commercial move requirements.

Indi and Oliver: US to the Netherlands

The 5-Day Rule (and more)


Before you bring your dog or cat to the Netherlands, make sure you're aware of regulations unique to the EU!

What to know about about commerical moves and unlisted countries

The EU 5-Day Rule

In order for pets to fly “non-commercially,” they must fly within five days of their owner. If you are unable to meet this 5-Day Rule, the move can still be carried out but it will be considered a commercial move, which increases costs and changes the EU import requirements and timeline. If you are unable to fly within 5 days of your pets, you will need to meet stricter import requirements. Contact your relocation coordinator to discuss commerical moves. 

Unlisted Countries and additional requirements

Are you coming from an “unlisted country”? If so, your pet will need a rabies antibody test, known as a titer. In this case, you must follow the below steps:

  • Microchip and rabies vaccination (at least 30 days old prior to blood draw)
  • Rabies antibody test performed by an accredited veterinarian and sent to an EU-approved laboratory
  • You must wait 90 days after the blood draw (assuming a passing result) before completing export paperwork

Find out if your origin country is listed here

Our Netherlands Team

Meet the experts behind your pet's move!


Travel Stories and Tips

Back to top