Moving Your Pet to Finland

If a move to Finland is in your future, now is a good time to begin the search for help with your pets. Bringing pets to Finland is possible, and it's made easier with a bit of planning.

Finland authorities require owners complete several steps before bringing dogs to Finland. All dogs must be microchipped to ensure proper identification and receive an inactivated rabies vaccination.

Within five days of travel, dogs need to receive a tapeworm treatment that includes the ingredient Praziquantel, and within 24 hours of departure, a clinical exam is required. A commercial EU vet health certificate must then be obtained, showing that the pet is healthy and fit for travel. Other requirements include USDA endorsements and an international health certificate.

The idea of pet transport to Finland can feel overwhelming, but your PetRelocation Specialists can help put your mind at ease by guiding you through the process one step at a time.

Relocation Info According to Species

Regulations for Importing Pets to Finland

Attention: This information is to be used as general guidelines and may not be updated to meet the current requirements. Before you travel, be sure to contact the appropriate authorities for your destination country.


Each pet shall be identified by means of a microchip. No other form of identification is acceptable. The microchip used should comply with ISO Standard 11784 or Annex A to ISO standard 11785. The microchip must be implanted before the rabies vaccine is administered.

Rabies Vaccination and Certificate

All pets must have an original Rabies Certificate signed by the vet. The rabies vaccine must be at least 21 days old at the time of the final health exam.

Further details regarding the rabies vaccine:

  • Pets may travel with a current one year vaccine (also known as a “primary” vaccine).
  • Pets may travel with a 3 year vaccine that was administered less than a year ago (otherwise it may be considered a booster).

If you have questions about this, please ask your PetRelocation Specialist about possible exceptions.

Additional Vaccines

Dogs: Distemper, Hepatitis, Leptospirosis, Parainfluenza and Parvovirus (DHLPP) and Bordetella.

Cats: Feline Viral Rhinotracheitis, Calicivirus and Panleukopenia (FVRCP).

EU Vet Health Certificate

This is the standard Health Certificate to be filled out by your accredited veterinarian and must be signed in a different color than that of the certificate's printing.

This certificate is valid for 10 days from the date of issue by the official veterinarian until the date of the checks at the EU point of entry. For the purpose of further movements within the EU, this certificate will be valid for a total of four months from the date of issue or until the date of expiry of the rabies vaccination, whichever date is earlier.

Tapeworm Treatment (Dogs Only)

Must be administered 1-5 days prior to arrival to your destination (you will need to bring your dog back to your veterinarian so they can administer the required tapeworm treatment).

The tapeworm treatment must contain the ingredient Praziquantel and be administered in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions.

The date and time of the tapeworm treatment must be recorded on the EU Vet Certificate.

USDA Endorsements

The following must be sent to your local USDA for their stamp of approval. Please contact your local representative to learn about the best way to manage this.

  • Microchip Implantation Record
  • Rabies Certificate
  • EU Vet Health Certificate

Airline Health Certificate

Within 10 days of departure your vet will need to issue an International Health Certificate as required by all airlines. This certificate states that your pet is in good health and fit to fly.

The EU Five Day Rule

Pet owners must fly within five days of their pet in order for the move to be considered “non-commercial.” If you are unable to meet this Five Day Rule, the move can still be carried out but it will be considered a commercial move, which increases costs and changes the EU import requirements and timeline.

Please check with your PetRelocation Specialist if you have questions about the EU Five Day Rule and how to best manage your pet’s relocation.

Additional Details

All original documentation listed above must travel with the pets.

In order for us to successfully clear customs we will need the following documents supplied prior to the pet’s arrival:

  • Copy of pet owner's passport
  • A signed letter of transfer from your company on letterhead
  • A copy of your plane/e-ticket/boarding pass showing your arrival within five days of your pet
  • If this is a military move: move orders, APO address, rank and office

Pet Travel Stories

“With everything else I had to organize and plan, it was a huge relief for me that I found PetRelocation. I am not sure what I would have done otherwise.”

— Nicole

Relocating Large Families: 12 Cats and 2 Dogs Move to Austria

Back to top