Moving to Vietnam with Pets

Bringing pets to Vietnam can be a tricky process to navigate, but with the right amount of time and planning, it can be handled smoothly and safely.

To get things started in the right direction, check if your vet is USDA accredited if you’re in the United States or approved by the relevant Government Authority if you’re elsewhere. Be sure to review the rules and requirements for importing pets into Vietnam well in advance and don’t be afraid to reach out to a professional if you need help.

Another important step to look out for is finding the right pet travel kennel and helping your pet get comfortable with it prior to departure. Kennel acclimation is a great way to make the journey a little less stressful for your pet (remember, sedation is not an option).

Learn more about shipping pets to Vietnam below and contact PetRelocation if you would like further guidance or someone to manage the details for you.

Do you need help planning your pet's move?

If you’re ready to learn more about pricing, logistics, and other travel details, get started by completing our consultation form. Our team is ready to assist you!

Request Support

Regulations for Importing Pets to Vietnam

Attention: This information is to be used as general guidelines and may not be updated to meet the current requirements. Before you travel, be sure to contact the appropriate authorities for your destination country.


A microchip is not required, but is recommended.

Rabies Vaccination and Certificate

All pets must have an original Rabies Certificate signed by the vet. This rabies vaccination must occur at least 30 days prior to departure, but within 360 days of departure.

Import Permit (only required for more than 2 pets)

Your PetRelocation Specialist will obtain this on your behalf. Please note that the import permit takes about a week to obtain and is valid for 10 days.

APHIS Form 7001

This is the standard Health Certificate to be filled out by your USDA accredited Veterinarian. It must be issued within 10 days of arrival.

USDA Endorsements

The above referenced forms need to be sent to your local USDA office for their stamp of approval prior to your pet’s travels. Please contact your PetRelocation Specialist to learn more about best way to manage this. The endorsed documents will need to travel with your pet to Vietnam.

Pet Travel Stories

“I have no doubt that we would not have been able to do this without PetRelocation and I would recommend them in a heartbeat to anyone needing to relocate their furry family members. ”

— Georgina

Moving Across the Pond with a Dog: Vinny’s Story

Back to top