Estonia Pet Import Rules and Requirements

Whether you're planning a job-related move or want to relocate for another reason, you may be curious about what it takes to organize pet transport to Estonia. By educating yourself on the rules and regulations and preparing your pets well in advance, you can ensure a successful trip for your furry friends.

Before bringing pets to Estonia, be sure each cat and dog has a microchip implanted. Follow this up with full vaccinations, including Distemper, Parainfluenza and Rabies. All vaccines must be administered within 12 months before arrival.

Bringing pets to Estonia also requires a significant amount of paperwork. Within four months of departure, obtain an EU health certificate from an accredited veterinarian, along with USDA endorsements. An international health certificate will also need to be completed within 10 days of departure. Make sure your pet travels with this documentation, as well as with a copy of your passport.

You can also make the pet travel process easier by working with a PetRelocation Specialist who can minimize the hassle and ensure you and your pet arrive safely and with minimal stress.

Request Support

Regulations for Importing Pets to Estonia

Attention: This information is to be used as general guidelines and may not be updated to meet the current requirements. Before you travel, be sure to contact the appropriate authorities for your destination country.


Each pet shall be identified by means of a microchip. No other form of identification is acceptable. The microchip used should comply with ISO Standard 11784 or Annex A to ISO standard 11785. Estonia currently accepts AVID 9 and AVID 10 in addition to ISO. The microchip must be implanted before the rabies vaccine is administered.

Rabies Vaccination and Certificate

All pets must have an original Rabies Certificate signed by the vet. The rabies vaccine must be at least 21 days old at the time of the final health exam.

Further details regarding the rabies vaccine:

  • Pets may travel with a current one year vaccine (also known as a “primary” vaccine).
  • Pets may travel with a 3 year vaccine that was administered less than a year ago (otherwise it may be considered a booster).

If you have questions about this, please ask your PetRelocation Consultant about possible exceptions.

Additional Vaccines

Dogs: Distemper, Hepatitis, Leptospirosis, Parainfluenza and Parvovirus (DHLPP) and Bordetella.

Cats: Feline Viral Rhinotracheitis, Calicivirus and Panleukopenia (FVRCP).

These should be valid at the time of import and administered no less than two weeks before export date for maximum effectiveness.

EU Health Certificate

This will be provided by your PetRelocation Specialist. This is the standard Health Certificate to be filled out by your accredited veterinarian and must be signed in a different color than that of the certificate's printing (usually blue ink).

This certificate is valid for 10 days from the date of issue by the official veterinarian until the date of the checks at the EU point of entry. For the purpose of further movements within the EU, this certificate will be valid for a total of four months from the date of issue or until the date of expiration of the rabies vaccination, whichever date is earlier.

USDA Endorsements

The following documents must be sent to your local USDA for their stamp of approval. Please contact your PetRelocation Specialist to learn more about the best way to manage this.

  • Microchip Implantation Record
  • Rabies Certificate
  • EU Vet Health Certificate

Airline Health Certificate

Your vet should have these in stock. It’s a good idea to call ahead and ask. This is an international health certificate that needs to be completed by your vet within 10 days of departure.

The EU Five Day Rule

Pet owners must fly within five days of their pet in order for the move to be considered “non-commercial.” If you are unable to meet this Five Day Rule, the move can still be carried out but it will be considered a commercial move, which increases costs and changes the EU import requirements and timeline.

Please check with your PetRelocation Specialist if you have questions about the EU Five Day Rule and how to best manage your pet’s relocation.

Additional Details

All original documentation listed above must travel with the pets.

In order for us to successfully clear customs we will need the following documents supplied prior to the pet’s arrival:

  • Copy of pet owner's passport
  • A signed letter of transfer from your company on letterhead
  • A copy of your plane/e-ticket/boarding pass showing your arrival within five days of your pet
  • If this is a military move: move orders, APO address, rank and office
  • An ID code for customs clearance

Pet Travel Stories

There are so many logistics to consider when moving your pets internationally. You want to make sure your furry friends are in the right hands and that those you've hired to help really care. When Ben, dad to Elmer, Piglet, and Lady Cooper, found out they were moving to

Pet Move of the Month: Moving a Pet Family During a Pandemic

Back to top